Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
29 Dec 2012 01:11 #28129 by tjamscad

the theme used is blue joy , at least thats the one i use

gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Blue-Joy?content=73387

Dave

Thanks, how do I install it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2012 01:31 - 29 Dec 2012 01:33 #28130 by cncbasher
Last edit: 29 Dec 2012 01:33 by cncbasher.

More
29 Dec 2012 02:06 #28132 by tjamscad

see if you can follow this tutorial ,

www.liberiangeek.net/2010/07/manually-in...tu-10-04-lucid-lynx/

Nope no good 12.04 is a tricky little OS. No big deal I will just keep using it the way it is.

More
29 Dec 2012 02:10 #28134 by cncbasher
arh ok did not realise your using 12.04 , I will be installing shortly on 12.04 so i''ll let you know if I succeed

dave

More
29 Dec 2012 04:14 - 29 Dec 2012 04:19 #28135 by cncbasher
12.04lts uses GTK3 and gtk2 themes will not load without a lot of work to convert them , no doubt we can discuss this with Chris once he returns , as to how we can proceed with the newer gtk3 framework for themes
so at present your stuck with gtk3 themes

One major internal change in GTK3 is the way that themes are designed. GTK2 allowed themes to be implemented with a special format in a gtkrc file, but GTK3 now requires that themes are implemented using CSS

for more info see here developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.0/migrating.html
Last edit: 29 Dec 2012 04:19 by cncbasher.

More
31 Dec 2012 10:05 #28213 by cmorley

Yes that is it. What theme are you using with the screen shots? I have been using and playing with it quite a bit and have some sugestions and questions. I love this so far it is light years better to use than touchy and axis. Have a great time on the rest of your vacation Chris.

1. Preferences should be located under the debug tab.

2. Debug should be the last tab in the row.

3.Debug should have alarm history

4. MDI the text entry needs to be larger like in the program mode and should contain history of previous input commands.

5. Save and Save As need to be text in run mode.

6. Can you edit the program line before you get to it while the program is running? (program on line 20 edit line 100 with out stoping the program) Haas controls can do this.

7. What is page3 in run mode?

8. What is optional Pause in Run mode?

9. In setup mode I have a red dot with ! in it. What is that?

10. Feed, Spindle and Rapid feed rate overrides should go to 200%

11. The left side bar needs to me wider. In setup mode the status block you cant see the text for jog/

12. Jog Increments are confusing should start at .0001, .001, .010 .100, 1.000, Continus and only go up or down the wraping to the benging will mess with an operator.

13. Since the menu level button just toggles the tabs I recomend removing it for more space for new buttons.

14. I like the blinking ESTOP but sugest changeing color to red and black as well as slowing the blink rate down.

15. I would sugest seperating the Machine on/off and Estop to be 2 different buttons. Maybe even put Estop on the Left side of the screen.

16. I can't tell if Ignore limits is doing anything.

17. The clear status button and the that whole row at the top could be removed for more space.

1) ok can try that
2) ok
3) I can probably make a scrollable list of all status messages (messsages that now go to the status bar on top of screen)
4) Yes making MDI larger should show the previous commands.
5) ok
6) No. this is a limitation of linuxcnc2 and not easily fixed. If this is really important it should be added to linuxcnc3 ideas page.
As it is when you save the program after editting it reloads the program which will stop a running program.
7) page3 is a development aid visual clue - I can remove it.
8) it's optional stop (M01) I should rename it
9) that is abort or stop motion - I can change it to text or remove it if you have a physical abort button
10) This is settable in the INI file to anything you like -Gscree looks it up from there. look in the [DISPLAY] section for MAX_FEED_OVERRIDE =
11) ok
12) again from the INI file {DISPLAY} INCREMENTS = .001 in, .01 in etc I can remove wrapping.
13 Orignally I was going to remove the tabs displays so the button was necessary - I guess the tabs are sufficient to select the pages.
14) black for estop clear red for estopped? can slow it down
15) There is a sample config gscreen_custom that has a seperate estop/machine on see if this is what you like.
16) It only does something if you have working limit switches.
17) I would have to rethink numeral input display for the operator, I could move the tool info to the left side...

Thanks for the feedback!

Chris M

More
01 Jan 2013 01:40 #28240 by karlkec
Hi Chris,

I hope your holiday was (is?) an enjoyable one.

I'm really glad to see Gscreen coming along. I'm sure it will be useful for a lot of people. On my simulator it's working great. I should have a chance to try it out on the mill later this week.

I've got some requests and questions. See what you and others think:
1. Right now we use Touchy with a touchscreen. We have a jogwheel on the control panel which is used for jogging, but can also be used to set overrides in touchy. It would be nice to do that in Gscreen too. That way, after selecting which override I could adjust it while watching the cut, without looking at the screen. We have a signed 32bit value from the jogwheel that we can used for this. A 1 percent override per count of the wheel should be about right.
2. I know the backplot can be zoomed from the graphics and zoom buttons, and from the scroll wheel on the mouse. On the mill we have a track ball, but no scroll wheel. Would it be possible to zoom the backplot by holding a key (ctrl?) and moving the track ball? I think Axis does this.
3. I really like the integrated tool table editor. Could it only show as many axes as are needed for the machine?
4. Maybe change the Tooleditor tab to a Setup tab? It could include the tool table editor as well as a tool touchoff button, the zero origin button, and offset origin button. We have a tool changer on the mill, so for us it would be nice if a Setup tab had the capability of changing tools too.
5. This is really minor -- it might be easier to have another tab to show offsets, rather than a button.
6. It would be nice for us to have jogging available without having to home the machine first. We don't have a way of moving the axes other than with the servos, and there are times when doing maintenance when I wouldn't want to go through the full travel to the home switch, but still want to jog it a bit this way or that.
7. Another minor point -- show the spindle speed with no decimals (or maybe one).

Gscreen is looking really great. Thanks a lot for all the hard work.

Karl

More
01 Jan 2013 01:55 #28241 by tjamscad

8) it's optional stop (M01) I should rename it
9) that is abort or stop motion - I can change it to text or remove it if you have a physical abort button
10) This is settable in the INI file to anything you like -Gscree looks it up from there. look in the [DISPLAY] section for MAX_FEED_OVERRIDE =
11) ok
12) again from the INI file {DISPLAY} INCREMENTS = .001 in, .01 in etc I can remove wrapping.
13 Orignally I was going to remove the tabs displays so the button was necessary - I guess the tabs are sufficient to select the pages.
14) black for estop clear red for estopped? can slow it down
15) There is a sample config gscreen_custom that has a seperate estop/machine on see if this is what you like.
16) It only does something if you have working limit switches.
17) I would have to rethink numeral input display for the operator, I could move the tool info to the left side...

Thanks for the feedback!

Chris M

8. please rename to option stop or optional stop
9. Please use text
10. Thanks I can handle that
12. see #10
13. The tabs are very nice and very fast to change between screens. Tabs could better be used in the Modes were tabs also. The multiple toggle button works but I find myself passing the mode i want and having to go areound and back to it.
14. Yes, estop on = red, estop off = black
15. yes, the sample sim/gscreen_custom but with the color changes from point 14. Machine on = green machine off = black
16. Is that something that can be toggeld in debug of prefferences?
17. This can be adressed at a later date if nesseary I was just thinking that it could help with room for othere items.

On screen keyboard - is it possible for it to show the text that will be avaible when using the shift key?

More
01 Jan 2013 02:05 #28242 by tjamscad

1. Right now we use Touchy with a touchscreen. We have a jogwheel on the control panel which is used for jogging, but can also be used to set overrides in touchy. It would be nice to do that in Gscreen too. That way, after selecting which override I could adjust it while watching the cut, without looking at the screen. We have a signed 32bit value from the jogwheel that we can used for this. A 1 percent override per count of the wheel should be about right.
3. I really like the integrated tool table editor. Could it only show as many axes as are needed for the machine?
4. Maybe change the Tooleditor tab to a Setup tab? It could include the tool table editor as well as a tool touchoff button, the zero origin button, and offset origin button. We have a tool changer on the mill, so for us it would be nice if a Setup tab had the capability of changing tools too.
5. This is really minor -- it might be easier to have another tab to show offsets, rather than a button.
6. It would be nice for us to have jogging available without having to home the machine first. We don't have a way of moving the axes other than with the servos, and there are times when doing maintenance when I wouldn't want to go through the full travel to the home switch, but still want to jog it a bit this way or that.
7. Another minor point -- show the spindle speed with no decimals (or maybe one).

Karl

1. I seconad the jogwheel override option Haas has this as an option by secleting hand control on the override section
2. I also like the tool editor but until I have this running some feedback from the machinest's I have no comments. Having it in the setup area would not hurt and might be better.
6. I agree to this too.
7. Agreed, I have never set or seen set a spindle speed with a deciminal.

More
01 Jan 2013 07:32 #28243 by cmorley

Hi Chris,

I hope your holiday was (is?) an enjoyable one.

I'm really glad to see Gscreen coming along. I'm sure it will be useful for a lot of people. On my simulator it's working great. I should have a chance to try it out on the mill later this week.

I've got some requests and questions. See what you and others think:
2. I know the backplot can be zoomed from the graphics and zoom buttons, and from the scroll wheel on the mouse. On the mill we have a track ball, but no scroll wheel. Would it be possible to zoom the backplot by holding a key (ctrl?) and moving the track ball? I think Axis does this.

Karl

1) you can almost do this now by using halui override controls. The missing part is the on-screen enable controls.
I could create pins that are true only when one of the override buttons is selected and while not in jogging mode - is that sufficient?
2) it is possible to zoom in anyway you want with a little coding. Is the track ball used like a mouse? so track ball movement is the same as mouse movement?
3) Yes ideally the tool editor display will be more configurable. I hadn't decided how that should work at the time I built it.
4) tool changing requires the machine to be homed that is why I left it off the first screen. I know on my lathe we indexed tools manual fairly often.
I could add it, de-sensitized till homing is done. Could you llive with index next tool or would you need index to a particular tool?
As for tooleditor as a setup tab- I'm not sure what you mean exactly - are you saying you want to be able to set the origin while the tooleditor displays?
5) If tabs are easier to use yes an offset tab could be built.
6) Jogging is available without homing. Homing mode is set automatically when Gscreen is started as that is pretty standard. de-press the homing button on the right side and press the jogging button on the bottom left. If this is an option lots of people want I could add it as a preference.
7) I'll look into it.

Chris M

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds