Lathe Macros

More
22 Dec 2014 19:37 - 23 Dec 2014 21:19 #54208 by kjacobs
Replied by kjacobs on topic Lathe Macros
Andy's last line in message #54119 (supplying the GUI numbers als parameters) works for me. Thanks for your help.
Karl

EDIT: I probably was just too dumb to apply FEATURES=12 in the ini file as said in post #42245... so I consider changing everything to paramters was an appropriate punishment.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2014 21:19 by kjacobs. Reason: admitting own fault

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2015 09:27 #56176 by BruceLayne
Replied by BruceLayne on topic Lathe Macros
Huge thanks to Andy for this! I haven't tried it yet, but I bookmarked it. My CNC Mini-Lathe is running LinuxCNC 2.5.x, and I don't have a spindle encoder or automated control of spindle speed yet. The LinuxCNC update and the spindle encoder and speed control are on the To Do list, but I also have a larger lathe build where I really want to use these macros. I'm particularly interested in using them as G code generators so I can create programs for short run production jobs. It seems that the macros are currently intended mostly for use with one-off jobs. I hope this, or something very much like this, is integrated into future versions of LinuxCNC.

More
22 Feb 2015 05:19 - 22 Feb 2015 05:20 #56201 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Lathe Macros

I'm particularly interested in using them as G code generators so I can create programs for short run production jobs..

These macros don't produce any G-code. Each operation runs a pre-programmed routine with different parameters.

If you want to produce G-code then look at NGCGUI or Features or JT's G-code generator
Last edit: 22 Feb 2015 05:20 by andypugh.

More
23 Feb 2015 03:33 #56222 by andypugh
I have just posted an updated ZIP file to the first post in this thread.

The macros now receive the values as subroutine parameters. so the FEATURES option is not needed.

Also new is the ability to type "3in" and have the value automatically become 76.2 to use imperial values on a metric lathe, or type "75mm" and have the value automatically become "2.95" for the reverse
You can also type "tpi" for conversion to mm pitch or "pitch" to convert mm pitch numbers to TPI.
Also converted are the fractions "/2" "/4" "/16" "/32" "/64" too. I found this very useful making Imperial Ner-a-Car parts on my Metric lathe.

So, if you want you can type "2 5/64in" and end up with the value in the box of "52.784"

There is code in the handler to move the cursor to the end when these conversions happen, but for some reason it doesn't work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb

More
03 Jul 2015 04:03 #60357 by tome
Replied by tome on topic Lathe Macros
How does one use this in Imperial mode? I went through the .ngc files and change G21 to G20 but the DRO display is still in metric. I was looking at the .ui file in glade and I see there is formatting for the DRO to be displayed in either metric or imperial but I don't see a configuration parameter that I should change...

Also, when I hover over the feed per rev spinbutton the tool tip says "Feed per rev, mm" I assume if I change to Imperial I need to change the tooltip in glade?
Thanks,
-Tom

More
03 Jul 2015 16:27 #60370 by andypugh

How does one use this in Imperial mode? I went through the .ngc files and change G21 to G20 but the DRO display is still in metric

It doesn't actually have an Imperial mode.
You _can_ type "in" after any number and it automatically converts the number to mm. But I suspect that isn't the solution you want.

I think that the most expedient way to change the DRO units is to open lathemacro.ui in a text editor and find/replace all
<property name="display_units_mm">True</property>
with
<property name="display_units_mm">False</property>

More
04 Jul 2015 03:10 #60393 by tome
Replied by tome on topic Lathe Macros

How does one use this in Imperial mode? I went through the .ngc files and change G21 to G20 but the DRO display is still in metric

It doesn't actually have an Imperial mode.
You _can_ type "in" after any number and it automatically converts the number to mm. But I suspect that isn't the solution you want.

I think that the most expedient way to change the DRO units is to open lathemacro.ui in a text editor and find/replace all
<property name="display_units_mm">True</property>
with
<property name="display_units_mm">False</property>

Ok, thanks.
-Tom

More
01 Jan 2016 13:28 #67644 by Davenc
Replied by Davenc on topic Lathe Macros
I really like the looks of the interface but have a couple of questions.
1) Was wondering if the boring option also does internal taper and if the turning option does OD taper?
2) Is there an RPM meter in the GUI? I haven't been able to locate screen shots of total GUI interface to be able to tell.

Thanks

More
01 Jan 2016 16:39 #67653 by andypugh

1) Was wondering if the boring option also does internal taper and if the turning option does OD taper?

Yes, both turning and boring have optional taper and run-out radius.

2) Is there an RPM meter in the GUI? I haven't been able to locate screen shots of total GUI interface to be able to tell.

No, there is no rpm meter in the layouts. As the routines all run at constant surface speed there isn't much to be gained from one.

More
28 Feb 2016 21:25 #70770 by f1oat
Replied by f1oat on topic Lathe Macros
Hello
I am using LatheMacro-3.zip on a Beaglebone Black.
I see the related gladevcp is eating a lot of CPU (15 to 25%).
Same issue if I run it in standalone mode with "gladevcp lathemacro.ui" command.after starting a HAL environment with "halrun".
Any idea ?
Any polling frequency to be tuned ?
Thanks.
Frederic.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds