Work with probe

More
05 Jul 2023 23:08 - 05 Jul 2023 23:13 #274867 by jcdammeyer
Replied by jcdammeyer on topic Work with probe
Thanks for the quick reply JohnnyCNC,
It's still a losing battle for me at the moment. I think I have it and then suddenly a tool length changes to -15" or so. When I remove the tool and do T0 M6 G49 the knee heads up to measure something. So I screwed up there too.
I think I'm going to have to take a step backwards and write up a doc like yours that takes me step by step through the process of installing the Probe Screen and then what to do to measure tools etc.

I think you reposted the measure_toolsetter_inch... file.  From your doc:  "Move the tool to .25 inch above the tool-setter and run the measure_tools inch.ngc file. This will measure the tool and write the value into the tool table."   I think you meant to say run the file "m6remap.ngc"

But that's where I'm not sure.

Last edit: 05 Jul 2023 23:13 by jcdammeyer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2023 00:00 #274869 by JohnnyCNC
Replied by JohnnyCNC on topic Work with probe
Sorry, It's been a long day.  Here is the measure_toolsetter_inch.ngc file.  You should only need to run this once or again if you move the toolsetter or something like that.   The measure_tool_inch.ngc is run when you want to take a fixed length tool and measure it and populated the length in the tool table.  From that point on, that tool will not be measured when called during machining because there is a length > 0 in the tool table.
You would never run m6remap.ngc directly.  It holds the subroutine that is called when an M6 is issued.  I never do a T0 M6 so I have never tested that.  Getting this whole process working did make my head hurt.  I'll reread my document and see if I have any other comments.

File Attachment:

File Name: measure_to...05-2.ngc
File Size:1 KB

Attachments:

More
06 Jul 2023 00:36 - 06 Jul 2023 00:36 #274871 by jcdammeyer
Hi JonnyCNC,
Yes. Really hot here so hard to concentrate. I can tell you've had a long day. Posted the same measure_toolsetter_inch.ngc file again.

It's the measure_tools_inch.ng file that's missing.

ie. tools_inch not toolsetter_inch

Sorry to be such a pain.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2023 00:36 by jcdammeyer.

More
06 Jul 2023 03:04 #274875 by JohnnyCNC
Ah, there's the problem. measure_toolsetter_height.ngc doesn't exist. It was a typo in the document. I looked in the directory where I saved everything from the original post and these are the .ngc files:
m6remap.ngc - M6 Remap code.
measure_tool_inch.ngc - Measure fixed length tools and update tool table
measue_toolsetter_inch.ngc - Record the position of the TS trip point.
probe_z_minus_wco.ngc - These are two lines that I added to this file.
#[4000 + [#5220]]=0.00000
#[4000 + [#5220]] = [#<z_minus_probed> + #<workspace_z> - #<_ini[PROBE]LENGTH>]

I still have to reread my doc but it is too late in the evening for that.
Thanks
John

More
06 Jul 2023 03:26 #274876 by jcdammeyer
No problem. Thanks for looking.

More
07 Jul 2023 06:46 #274931 by jcdammeyer
These are the files I've been able to find.
M6Remap.pdf
m6remap_2021-12-17.ngc
Measure_toolsetter_inch.ngc
probe_z_minus_wco_2021-12-17.ngc

when I do a grep of my entire linux folder structure what's interesting is "probe_z_minus_wco" only shows up in that file.  None of the py or .ngc files reference it.  And because it's a subroutine LinuxCNC complains if I try and load it as a program and run int.
I really just want to be able to press this button on the psng screen and have the probe touch the work and record the G5n.z offset into the 4001..4009 locations.  

However I can't even figure out how to attach say the probe_z_minus_wco_2021-12-17.ngc file to that button.
John
Attachments:

More
07 Jul 2023 21:27 #274974 by JohnnyCNC
I'm looking to see where probe_z_minus_wco is called from.  I'm using QTDragon.  I don't remember how I figured out that it was probe_z_minus_wco doing the probe and that is where I needed to make the change.  I'll keep looking.

These entries in my .ini file are what tell it where the subroutine files are located.

SUBROUTINE_PATH = /home/john/linuxcnc/nc_files/probe/basic_probe/macros
SUBROUTINE_PATH = ../../../../nc_files/probe/basic_probe/macros
SUBROUTINE_PATH = macros

More
07 Jul 2023 22:03 #274975 by jcdammeyer
I can't believe how much trouble this is. And every time I think I have my head wrapped around the offsets I try stuff, it doesn't work right and then I'm confused again.
For example. Total distance from quill bottom to table is 12.7037"
I use my probe which is 4.784" long when tripped to touch off a set of 1-2-3 blocks arrange as 5" tall.
Now 12.7037"-5.0000" = 7.7037" which is now the total distance from the bottom of the quill when the table is at Machine Coordinates 0.
No tool loaded and G49 is set.
What should G54.Z be at this point and is that the value in 4001?
Next I load Tool #3 which has a length of 2.747" which shortens the total space from the head to the 5" blocks by 2.747"
So does G54.Z change? But now that G43 is force with Tool #3 that 2.747" comes into play so that under G54 a G0 Z0.0000 moves the table up so the tip of the tool would be exactly 5" above the table even with the top of the blocks.

Very confused here.

More
08 Jul 2023 21:47 #275047 by JohnnyCNC
I know EXACTLY how you feel.  Been there, done that.   I did however find where probe_z_minus_wco is referenced.  It is in the basic_probe.ui file which is located here: /usr/share/qtvcp/widgets_ui.
Keep in mind this is on my system running LCNC 2.8.4 and QTDragon (not the HD version).  I'm still trying to get this working on LCNC 2.9 and QTDragon_HD

John

More
08 Jul 2023 22:08 #275049 by JohnnyCNC
"What should G54.Z be at this point and is that the value in 4001?"

To answer this question the way I looked at it was like this.  When I touch off on the part (in G54) using my 3D probe I want to record into #4001 what the value would be if the probe wasn't there and the nose of the spindle on the part.  Then when I select a tool, the offset of that tool would be added to the value in #4001. So let's say that at probe trip I am at Z -6 inches and my probe is 4" long.  I would record Z -10" because that where the spindle nose would be if the probe wasn't there.  Then when I use a 2" tool (-10 + 2" tool = Z -8) Z -8 would be with the tool on the top of the part.

I hope this helps.
John

Time to create page: 0.322 seconds