Work with probe

More
14 Jul 2023 18:05 #275426 by lrak
Replied by lrak on topic Work with probe
OK - I just upgraded to 2.9.0
I am looking to do some probing with a redesigned probe based on Andy's work:
lrak.net/uploads/simplescreenrecorder-2023-07-14_12.48.24.mkv

I saw the probescreen in several places on github - but found probe bits linuxcnc-userspace itself..  not sure if this is the same thing?  Anyway, where would I find the current probe install instructions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2023 19:01 #275429 by jcdammeyer
Replied by jcdammeyer on topic Work with probe
I suspect this is what you are looking for?
forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...obe?start=550#232195

More
14 Jul 2023 21:08 - 14 Jul 2023 21:28 #275439 by lrak
I'm trying to figure out which fork people are using.
Most of the forks on github don't seem to have active changes - The one you pointed me at:
github.com/andypugh/probe-screen-ng 2 months
github.com/alkabal/PSNG_V3   6-months
github.com/linuxcnc-probe-screen/probe-screen-ng  2years
github.com/verser-git/probe_screen_v2 4 years
qtDragon screens

Which one should I try for linuxcnc_userspace 2.9 ?  (I'm thinking the one Andy is working on?).

Last edit: 14 Jul 2023 21:28 by lrak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vector

More
14 Jul 2023 21:40 #275444 by JPL
Replied by JPL on topic Work with probe
What about this one: github.com/verser-git/probe_screen_v2.8
Updated 2 weeks ago (not counting the readme)
See ref here: forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...obe?start=590#274688

But I agree, there is way too many version of the damn thing

More
14 Jul 2023 21:49 #275449 by JPL
Replied by JPL on topic Work with probe

Then NONE of the current verser version will work for you because of python incompatibility.

More
14 Jul 2023 21:53 #275450 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Work with probe

I'm trying to figure out which fork people are using.
Most of the forks on github don't seem to have active changes - The one you pointed me at

Which one should I try for linuxcnc_userspace 2.9 ?  (I'm thinking the one Andy is working on?).

Just to add to the confusion probing by versby and basic probe are already included in QT_DRAGON in V2.9 . This is probably where changes need find their way to as that's where most probing activity can be expected once 2.9 is released.

More
14 Jul 2023 23:13 #275462 by jcdammeyer
Replied by jcdammeyer on topic Work with probe
I'm using the 2.8 version with the changes from Alkabal and others.  Some of the changes are incorrect and resulted in my probe destroying itself at 150ipm into a 1-2-3 block.

Part of the problem is I believe the design philosophy was to place the tool setter on top of the work (perhaps a sheet of MDF on a CNC router) and be able to probe various configuration edges etc.  The PSNG screen is an amazing bit of work but it keeps changing appearance on each iteration and likely the code keeps changing too.

So for now I'm staying with 2.8 and I've now got several processes in place.

1. Probe the tool setter to determine the length of the tool tip to the quill and put that into the tool table.
2. For tools like R8 collets that hold various cutters with different shanks the length in the tool table for that tool # is 0.
3. Same with Drill Chucks unless you have several for one project and the drill bits stay in them for the entire project in which case measure them.
4. On a tool change if there is a valid length then use that to set the new work space Z zero position.
5. If there isn't a length go probe the tool setter.
6. Finally , normally, the M06 macro does not perform a tool change if the requested tool is the same as the currently mounted tool. What I've done is forced a re-probe at the tool setter if the length in the tool table is 0.  This avoids doing a T00 M06 G9 and then a T5 M06 G43.  Instead a T5 M06 G43 will result in a tool measurement after I put a new drill bit in the drill chuck (TTS Tool #5).

I still need to do more testing before I post the modified code.

More
15 Jul 2023 00:14 #275465 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Work with probe

Then NONE of the current verser version will work for you because of python incompatibility.

Then install QTDRAGON_HD on V 2.9 and use it's version inspired by verser.

More
15 Jul 2023 03:20 - 15 Jul 2023 03:54 #275480 by verser
Replied by verser on topic Work with probe
Serg425, Thanks for the good questions.

Serg452 wrote:
What is the value of the buttons (1) if the enable measurement is still pressed with an offset?
What does the ERR check mean (2)?

First question. These buttons only set to 0 the current coordinate system for arm or spindle, but do not physically move the axes.
Second question. I made edits to the 'ERR pin proccessing' code yesterday (     Probe Screen v2.8.3     ) and am preparing the information for the User Guide. This checkbox will be useful for users of wireless probes, such as Vers WLR v7, in which radio signal delay is critical. The ERR pin is physically connected to the CNC controller and signals an abnormal delay in radio. Probe Screen will repeat the measurement if an ERR signal occurs.
Probe Screen can also handle any delay. Not only from wireless probes. For example, Connection Module Vers CM  in anti-vibration mode generates a fixed delay of 5 ms, which must be taken into account.

Serg452 wrote:     
Another question. The remap enable button has disappeared. I use a tool in a cone BT40 and every time there is no need to measure. What should I do?

This is an important question. And it looks like simple advice is not enough. I'll try to make an appropriate update.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2023 03:54 by verser.

More
18 Jul 2023 02:29 #275707 by lrak
Ok - so I looked at what changed in python - doesn't look like that much?  They changed print into a function and assume float for integer math.  There is even code available that will edit the old 2.x print code into 3.x code (I'm sure it will still take a fix or two)..
I've written in a bunch of languages, but not python - (I'm thinking I'm too old to learn yet another language.. )

Perhaps something else  changed in the latest version of LinuxCNC?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds