Random stuff, reduction, servo motors, ideas and thoughts

More
22 Apr 2020 10:01 #165065 by thefabricator03
Question for you Tom.

The stepper motor on my X axis, sometimes on start up clicks back and forth. I usually turn it off and on again and it stops. The other day I pushed against the X axis frame and tried to see how much force it had. When I did that it stopped.

What could be causing the twitching without steps being sent to the drive?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2020 11:47 #165076 by tommylight
Did you remove the lines with something.maxerror.0.5 in the hal ?
That can also be caused by interference on the signal lines, or bad power supply.
And finally, faulty stepper drive, had one of those lately, it works but it does not change direction. Checked it, optos and everything on the inputs is OK, must be something deeper in the logic stuff, will get back to it later.

More
22 Apr 2020 12:03 #165083 by thefabricator03
Thanks,

The power supply is a large torodial that power the other three drives. They are working fine.

What could cause interference on the signal lines?

If it keeps happening I will buy another drive and test it.

More
22 Apr 2020 12:22 - 22 Apr 2020 12:22 #165089 by tommylight
Do the drives use plugs ?
Just unplug it and plug it to another drive, see if the issue follows.
Power off the drives before doing that.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2020 12:22 by tommylight. Reason: info
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
22 Apr 2020 12:24 #165090 by thefabricator03
Thanks, will try next time it happens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Apr 2020 04:41 - 28 Apr 2020 04:42 #165897 by machinedude

They are 98mm frame, so not exactly nema42.

i just came across this issue with the NEMA 34 frame and a 86 mm frame. i thought it was going to be an easy swap but looks like the mounts are going to need made again. the bolt circle diameter is slightly different and the the diameter of the boss on the motor is a different diameter between the two frame sizes just enough to make them not interchangeable. something a never knew existed but but learned recently in a not so good way :)
Last edit: 28 Apr 2020 04:42 by machinedude.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
28 Apr 2020 04:52 #165898 by thefabricator03

They are 98mm frame, so not exactly nema42.

i just came across this issue with the NEMA 34 frame and a 86 mm frame. i thought it was going to be an easy swap but looks like the mounts are going to need made again. the bolt circle diameter is slightly different and the the diameter of the boss on the motor is a different diameter between the two frame sizes just enough to make them not interchangeable. something a never knew existed but but learned recently in a not so good way :)

I have the issue with my Yaskawa motors on my robots. The frame size is just that little bit different that any other motor wont bolt straight up.

More
28 Apr 2020 05:39 #165905 by machinedude
in my case the good news is i can always make new mounts. the bad news is i don't feel like making new mounts :) i noticed it when i had the notion to swap the steppers out on the gantry mill for the 750 w DMM servo's i have. i have 4 of those and using the forth on the spindle would give me a 20% increase in power and i could have a spindle that is controlled in both directions which would open up rigid taping. taking it that far would not be to hard on the spindle. those motors will run at 6,000 rpm i was told by DMM on 240V that should be doable with the spindle i have as far as bearings go most do at least 5,000

More
28 Apr 2020 07:03 #165914 by rodw

in my case the good news is i can always make new mounts. the bad news is i don't feel like making new mounts :)

Once I was like that and bought a mount. but it was awful. I'm still using it, but if I had not have been lazy, I would have a better job

More
28 Apr 2020 07:46 #165920 by thefabricator03
Two words, CNC Mill.

I am hoping to have one by the end of the year. From watching videos it sure seems to make making motor mounts and such a breeze. Need another part, just load the material and run the program again. I really cannot wait :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds