Random stuff, reduction, servo motors, ideas and thoughts

More
12 Aug 2020 22:48 #178059 by thefabricator03
The specs look good. Welding Aluminum will be the biggest challenge. Aluminum does not show its heat input well and if you put to much in it melts away in a big lump.
Welding steel and stainless steel would be the first things I would work on. Practice laying flat beads in a straight line and then move on to fillet welds.

With Youtube its never been easier to learn how to weld, lots of good videos showing what I was taught at TAFE during my apprenticeship.
The following user(s) said Thank You: machinedude

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2020 01:04 #178063 by machinedude
yeah the first welder that i was looking at that was AC/DC in this price range was a good deal but then i cam across this one and it had better features and was actually cheaper.

i did some research on this model and people seemed to like it. the duty cycle is decent and has the post gas control and pulse control. these are things you see in the more expensive units. but the name brand units start in price around $1,800

the only thing that does not come with this one is the tungsten electrodes. but it does have the better foot petal and the torch is a swivel style.

i have to look into the tungsten since you get into all kinds of blends for different applications. i will will have to look into the filler rods too. i'm not sure how deep the selections are in that area.

yeah with youtube and how to video's it's not bad getting started if you brush up some first.

once i get the unit i will probably pick up a cart locally and see how much they are. i know they have a few choice online but they do not always stock everything in the stores.

regardless i think this is a good unit that i should not grow out of any time soon. so by the time i pick up a cart and some odds and ends i should be around $1,000 into this set up which is not bad for a 200 A unit i think.

More
13 Aug 2020 06:51 #178069 by tommylight
www.youtube.com/c/TheFabricatorSeries/videos
Forget everything else on there and just watch him do his thing, he is a "no bull$hit" guy with plenty of experience and makes things really simple for beginners.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, machinedude, pinder

More
13 Aug 2020 10:07 #178091 by machinedude
actually this guy does a review between the older version and the newer version i picked up. he made the comment about buying a second machine as a back up and never using the second machine after 2 year of abuse with students using it. so he unboxed it with the newer version to do a side by side evaluation of the two.

More
14 Aug 2020 07:07 #178166 by Mike_Eitel
I just bought a nice machine plus a bunch of addons and ended not much higher than 1000 CHF...

www.stahlwerk-schweissgeraete.de/schweis...-puls-digitlal-chrom

More
14 Aug 2020 07:36 #178172 by machinedude
i would say over the last few years they have come down in price quite a bit. DC units were pretty common and cheaper for a while now but you never seen the AC/DC units unit recently. they might have been out there but not to much information was out on the quality over all.

this has been something i have wanted for over 10 years now :) i would keep watching and looking from time to time but just now came across something worth thinking about seriously.even at entry level it's still expensive to get into on a hobby level.

but it's on it's way to me so something new to play with soon enough :) just what i needed another distraction :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel

More
20 Aug 2020 22:05 #178880 by machinedude
welder showed up today and have other stuff already bought and here or on the way.

one of the things i was looking for was a way to grind tungsten and seen the standard attachment that fits on a hand held engraver but they seemed a bit over priced and i was not feeling the diamond cut off wheels as something that would work real well for grinding so i bought a diamond cup wheel for $16 bucks. i was going to mount this on a hand held grinder but the I.D. of the wheel is not fitting the grinder so i started to think up a plan B. i have a 1/4 HP 1725 RPM induction motor with a half inch shaft. so now i'm thinking of just making a rigid coupling for the motor and just attach the cupped wheel directly to motor.

i also bought a set of casters so i can make a cart for this thing as soon as i get every thing situated. i need to add and outlet for 240V so hopefully i can at least get that in over the weekend. i figured why buy a cart when it would make a good practice project :)

i think this type of wheel will work better for grinding tungsten though.

Attachments:

More
24 Aug 2020 23:13 #179285 by machinedude
the things you put yourself through for your kids :) daughter wrecked her car total loss for the kid so i gave here an old SUV i had so she would have some time to get back on here feet with the car situation. this SUV had been parked for about 4 years and it ran decent and fired right up once i jumped the battery so i went through getting it ready to get inspected and transferred every thing over to her. thought i had things wrapped up and drove it out to the gas station to fill it up and the thing starts over heating? temp gauge quite working so i thought the thermostat was sticking so i put a new one in. same problem. added some water and it started running cooler but was still a little hot from normal. went over every thing and could not find and leaks so i was starting to think water pump? well long story short i pulled the dip stick to find a milky mess on the end of the stick. so tore into things and found this mess :) first thought was a head gasket but these motors had a lot of issues with intake gaskets so that was my focus. sure enough a water port on each side of the intake on the front was the problem.

brand new toys i want to play with and this is the kind of Sh!t life keeps throwing in my face :) i keep hoping at some point soon i can actually have some time to work on something i actually want to work on :)
Attachments:

More
25 Aug 2020 07:20 #179326 by tommylight
Life and it's throwbacks! :)
In a few days registration expires on both our cars, and i will very soon have to change the timing belt and do a proper service on the 2004 Skoda SuperB, i get a headache just from thinking about it, the whole front of the car including 3 radiators has to be disassembled to get to the belts and water pump and tensioners that have to be replaced.
I just got 4 new tires on it, changed the disks and brake pads a few months back, so it newer stops, it is relentless ! :)

More
25 Aug 2020 08:12 #179330 by machinedude
i hate cars, trucks and suv's :) relentless is an understatement i think. when i pulled my truck down to jump this thing when i first started working on the minor stuff my truck decided it was a good time for the fuel pump to die :) 36 gallon gas tank so it was easier to pull the entire bed off the truck :) got that fixed and went back to this and then this mess :) my oldest daughter is due any day now and they already gave her medication to stop her contractions. so in a short time from now i will have a new baby in the house on top of everything else :)

i kept telling myself i wanted to get my machine finished before my granddaughter gets here but that notion is out the window at this point :)

life is brutal :)

Time to create page: 0.581 seconds