GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac

More
07 Mar 2020 00:20 #159357 by tommylight
Touch screen friendly = yes !
As simple as possible main screen = yes !
I do own an HP laptop/tablet ( yup fully featured computer in the shape and form of a tablet, with a detachable keyboard ) with FullHD screen that i have to use with double or HiDPi most of the time when using fingers. The best thing about it is it has very usable latency with RT kernel, the worst thing is it has NO ethernet port, not even on the detachable keyboard. That will not stop me from testing it through wireless with a wireless bridge wired to Mesa 7i92, as soon as i possibly can.
That would be the ultimate machine control ....... if it works.
Hence a nice touchscreen with a simple GUI would be nice.
Just thinking out loud....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2020 00:25 #159358 by snowgoer540

Off the cuff, the ability to clear a current program would be nice.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here.

In Pathpilot you can do math or enter any value inside the DRO which is handy (zero out the X axis at the edge of the plate, jog to the other side, then type /2 to set the zero point at the center of the length traveled, for example). Also, showing the time in the GUI is pretty convenient when you have the program running full screen.

Forgive the colours, I have been playing around with stylesheets...

This is how it does the above at the moment

Man, you work fast. I'm super excited about this.

Below is an example of clearing a current program. Axis may be able to do this, but truthfully I dont know how. I've wanted to clear conversational stuff before and I never found a way. I'm not too proud to admit that once or twice I just closed and reopened LinuxCNC. Also, the video shows an integrated file picker, which is insanely convenient.

Clear Current Program Example

As for the /2 DRO input stuff, that would definitely work. Below is exactly what I meant though. I also showed where PathPilot chose to hide the time, it's one of my great additions as a beta tester (haha). That, and Alt + Enter brings focus to the MDI, and pressing enter with no values in the MDI loses focus, pretty handy functionality. At any rate, I like that the clock is always visible in the new GUI!

DRO Functionality

If you want a screen shot of PathPilot for inspiration, I can provide one of those as well. Other thoughts, is I recall the CandCNC GUI looking pretty decent the time I saw it.

Keep up the good work, did I mention I'm pumped about this?

More
07 Mar 2020 00:41 #159359 by phillc54

Touch screen friendly = yes !
As simple as possible main screen = yes !
Hence a nice touchscreen with a simple GUI would be nice.
Just thinking out loud....

I like simple as well Tom, I really want the minimum amount of widgets on the main screen as possible.

I think I need to stop playing around with the stylesheets (I tend to get sidetracked with something new) and try to work out a decent layout then we can add the bells and whistles later...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Mar 2020 01:00 #159362 by tommylight

(I tend to get sidetracked with something new)

That tends to happen a lot ! :)

More
07 Mar 2020 08:25 - 07 Mar 2020 08:25 #159381 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac

The immediate problem with that is that it drops you out of the nice touch screen interface. But hey, that can be the last thing tackled.
Parsing a calculator string is a perfect example where recursive programming is required.
When I googled "python calculator parser" this link popped up.
gist.github.com/urielha/6c11c29073dddbb9a0b9a1b92c1af3be
Not saying its a good one but it looks like it covers the basics. Just define variables for x,y, z etc that return the current DRO positions.

Qtvcp has a calculator dialog available. To get it to show:
in the screenoptions widget find and click the checkbox property for 'calulator_dialog_option'
Then on the axisToolButton widgets look at the property 'dialog_code_string' - change it from 'ENTRY' TO 'CALCULATOR'
Bingo

Chris
Last edit: 07 Mar 2020 08:25 by cmorley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, rodw

More
07 Mar 2020 08:34 #159382 by cmorley
The nice that is in the entry but not the calculator is you can use axis letter to represent the current position of axis for calculation.

again IIRC there is a possible popup screen keyboard available - it's ugly and annoying if you don't need it but of course could be improved.
In QtDefault it pops up for MDI if you want to see it.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
07 Mar 2020 08:36 #159385 by cmorley
Blender has the calculator set up for axistoolbuttons if you wish to see what available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
07 Mar 2020 09:45 #159392 by phillc54
Thanks Chris, I will check that out tomorrow.

Should I put these UI and handler files in share/QtVCP/screens or in the PlasmaC config directory.

More
07 Mar 2020 09:55 #159394 by cmorley
handler, ui, qss go in share/qtvcp/screens/SCREENNAME/
image files go in share/qtvcp/image/

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/gui/qtvcp_dev...l#_builtin_locations

Let me know if I can help - I'll be following you here for sure.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight

More
07 Mar 2020 10:19 #159397 by phillc54
Thanks Chris.

I keep getting an error on shutdown, something about dbus (I think). I won't be near a machine until tomorrow so I will confirm the error message then

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds