GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac

More
12 Mar 2020 01:11 #159832 by phillc54
Sorry for the long reply but it was easier to do it all in one post.

snowgoer540 wrote:
Attached is V2.0 with some explanation slides.
Let me know what you think!

I think it is a good starting point.
I like that it looks like it will fit in a 1024x768 window which I think we need to do. Obviously it needs to be resizable for higher resolution displays.

rodw wrote:
Definitely need a home all button.

islander261 wrote:
How are the axis/machine homed?
How are the work piece offsets entered?

With QtVCP the REF buttons are for touchoff and the HOME buttons are seperate so we would need a REF button and a HOME button for each axis plus a HOME all button.

islander261 wrote:
High contrast and brightness rule for old guys.

CliveS wrote:
I personally prefer the colour scheme in V1. to V2 as I find it easier to read.

It is relatively easy to change colours using stylesheets. We could probably supply a few to begin with but they can be customised. I think we need to concentrate on the layout now and we can sort out colours later.

rodw wrote:
Don't loose Phill's laser reference buttons. Thats all I use to pick 0,0.

They were actually part of Jims screen that I was thinking of using as the base. I would have removed or repurposed them.
forum.linuxcnc.org/qtvcp/38247-sample-qt...eens?start=20#157367

rodw wrote:
The concept of testing ohmic sensing to trigger the enable relay is going to be obsolete (it is for me now) with hyper sensing with a THCAD-5

That would be fine if everyone did the same but I am sure they won't.

rodw wrote:
Need a decent size button to accept MDI input

Agreed

rodw wrote:
I don't understand why we are wasting screen real estate for a spindle and associated tools on a plasma machine. If you must retain it, put it on a secondary tab that is not displayed by default.

Again, that was Jims and I would have removed or repurposed them.

rodw wrote:
I think the onscreen estop/machine on probably needs to be retained to keep Linuxcnc happy. If you do hit estop, you need to hit a screen button to confirm its been cleared to continue.

islander261 wrote:
How is the machine taken out of or E-stopped

Unfortunately I have to agree.
IMHO This was a mistake having this as a button LinuxCNC GUIs from the beginning but folk are used to it and that is what they want.
Estop should be physical Estop, not softbuttons. That is how I have it on my mill and lathes, the "Estop" button in AXIS is only used as an indicator.

islander261 wrote:
What about the reverse run? This is a very use full feature for cutting error recovery

I also think his should be on the main screen

CliveS wrote:
I personally don't like touch screens.

I can't comment because I don't have one but we do need to allow for them.

Well guys hopefully we can come to some sort of consensus on a layout then I can start coding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2020 01:28 #159833 by snowgoer540

Sorry for the long reply but it was easier to do it all in one post.

Well guys hopefully we can come to some sort of consensus on a layout then I can start coding.

I can keep modifying what I started (I am happy to do so)!

I will try to work down the list of things you commented on and update the layout as I understand it. Phil can you double check me?

1. I am hearing Ref and Zero are synonomyous. Arent these just buttons? They can be coded to do whatever the action is when clicked. Does it matter if it's called Zero or Reference? I really dont know what I dont know, so that's some of the issue here. I dont really know how QtVCP works. But if it HAS to be called reference, I can change Zero to Ref, and then add a Home All button.

2. Am I reading to leave the 0,0 pick off? I Would think it's a bit redundant, as you can just click zero on the X and zero on the Y, correct?

3. Agree, I dont mind the ohmic light being there either way.

4. When you click the MDI Box, it could display an accept button to the right? Are we expecting a virtual keyboard to come up with touch based people? Otherwise one could just press enter.

5. My GUI didnt have spindle stuffs.

6. Looks like Phil you agree that estop buttons in software arent necessary? Thats how it reads, I think (it looks like you agree to what you quoted which was people asking for them, but then you said how you dont think they have a place either). Pathpilot doesnt have them, so it's possible.

7. I need guidance as to what the Reverse run GUI requires. I keep meaning to go to 2.9 and update, frankly I just dont know how without starting fresh. Screen grabs would help me here.

8. I think most of what I proposed is touch accessible. My layout was based on Pathpilot, which is touch friendly.

SO to recap I need to add:

1. Home All Button, maybe change Zero to Ref.
2. Plans for a Accept button on MDI box
3. Reverse Run GUI Requirements

Did I get that right?

-Greg

More
12 Mar 2020 02:01 - 12 Mar 2020 02:02 #159834 by phillc54

Looks like Phil you agree that estop buttons in software arent necessary? Thats how it reads, I think (it looks like you agree to what you quoted which was people asking for them, but then you said how you dont think they have a place either). Pathpilot doesnt have them, so it's possible.

Yes, that is how I do it here and AXIS can do it as well if you set HAL up for it.

QtVCP has:
A button that can HOME an axis
A button that can ZERO and axis
A button that can REF an axis, this gives a menu so you could either ZERO, set a value, halve the current setting, use the last setting. Halving is not required here but it is what it is.
You can name these buttons whatever you want.
The DRO does not accept entries.

Maybe a MDI button with the other buttons

That is the Paused Motion part of this panel
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plas....html#_control_panel

At this stage I want to use standard QtVCP widgets. Chris is very helpful and is willing to look at practical suggestions so we may be able to finesse some widgets later on.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2020 02:02 by phillc54.

More
12 Mar 2020 02:04 #159835 by snowgoer540

Looks like Phil you agree that estop buttons in software arent necessary? Thats how it reads, I think (it looks like you agree to what you quoted which was people asking for them, but then you said how you dont think they have a place either). Pathpilot doesnt have them, so it's possible.

Yes, that is how I do it here and AXIS can do it as well if you set HAL up for it.

QtVCP has:
A button that can REF an axis, this gives a menu so you could either ZERO, set a value, halve the current setting, use the last setting. Halving is not required here but it is what it is.

At this stage I want to use standard QtVCP widgets. Chris is very helpful and is willing to look at practical suggestions so we may be able to finesse some widgets later on.

Oh ok, I’m tracking now. Thanks for clarifying.

So I’ll proceed with a V3 in the next day or so if that’s ok?
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, Clive S, rodw

More
12 Mar 2020 06:20 #159846 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac

QtVCP has:

If your keen I could surely add home/unhome to the axis tool button - could probably made the 'divide by two' optional too if it's a problem (it's nice for finding center of things maybe you don't do that ever in plasma)

DRO accepting entry would be a little bit of work - would it be nice for it to work like the toolbutton - gives a dropdown with options or would you rather just an entry box?

There can be a popup keyboard - it's the 'soft_keyboard_option' property of the MDILine widget in designer
If you put the MDI line on a separate tab then you could use the cycle start button for MDI entry (with a little code)- just another idea.
If you have a MPG you can use it to scroll the MDI history

Chris

More
12 Mar 2020 06:42 #159848 by phillc54

If your keen I could surely add home/unhome to the axis tool button - could probably made the 'divide by two' optional too if it's a problem (it's nice for finding center of things maybe you don't do that ever in plasma)

I don't see a problem with a separate home/unhome button although it may not be a bad option.

DRO accepting entry would be a little bit of work - would it be nice for it to work like the toolbutton - gives a dropdown with options or would you rather just an entry box?

I think the idea was to be able to type directly into the DRO. Apparently that is how PathPilot does it. See the example here

Also an issue with the dropdown for the axis_tool_button is that apparently it is not touch screen friendly (I don't know because I don't have one)

There can be a popup keyboard - it's the 'soft_keyboard_option' property of the MDILine widget in designer
If you put the MDI line on a separate tab then you could use the cycle start button for MDI entry (with a little code)- just another idea.
If you have a MPG you can use it to scroll the MDI history

Hmm, food for thought.

More
12 Mar 2020 10:36 - 12 Mar 2020 10:37 #159859 by snowgoer540

So as I look at this, I have a few questions as it pertains to the Main tab of the planned PlasmaC GUI.

Torch Pulse - What is the intended purpose of this? Bear in mind that I'm not asking from the standpoint of it doesnt belong, I'm asking from the standpoint of really not knowing. When I was setting up my table, I used it to make sure the torch fired, I got some voltage, etc and basically double check my wiring. I'm not sure I can think of a need for it in everyday use of the table. That said I didnt try too hard. At any rate, I was thinking maybe a good place for it, if it's necessary, is in the conversational tab? Or the settings tab? Similarly, the probe test button would go in the settings tab, I would think.

Height Override - I wonder if this should be part of the conversational or settings tab as well. I'm open to why I'm wrong, but my thought is this: This is more suited in test cut scenarios. So you could use the conversational to make some test cuts, and determine your torch height. While they are running bump the torch around, etc. I dont know what I dont know, and everyone uses their table differently, but I've never had the need to change this, once I arrived at the value it was supposed to be in the first place.

I think that is it. Again, not saying these things arent useful, just trying to understand their use case, so I can place them appropriately.

Note to self: We need to put the statistics somewhere as well.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2020 10:37 by snowgoer540.

More
12 Mar 2020 10:43 #159860 by phillc54
From memory, torch pulse was added to be able to clear water blown back into the torch.

I don't know if anyone uses height override. It was something I thought may be useful at the time but I don't recall getting any feedback on it.

More
12 Mar 2020 19:07 #159911 by islander261
The torch pulse is useful for staring the torches post flow to clear water or debris from torch or material top.

I use the arc voltage adjust when compensating for worn consumables, I don't use the auto voltage set feature. I do like to see the actual arc voltage displayed.

John

More
12 Mar 2020 21:30 #159936 by tommylight
Same as Icelander, no autovolts and i have a big display of voltage.
And what would be the use of height overide on an automated machine that can adjust height at any time.
Frankly, i can not think of any use for it, and i still stand by the "as simple as possible" thingy. And i am complicated, a lot. :)

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds