GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac

More
12 Mar 2020 22:59 #159951 by phillc54

islander261 wrote:
I use the arc voltage adjust when compensating for worn consumables, I don't use the auto voltage set feature.

Does that work OK John, I knew you used Cut Volts from the Cut Parameters but I wasn't sure if you used height override.

tommylight wrote:
And what would be the use of height overide on an automated machine that can adjust height at any time.

If you use preset Cut Volts like John does above.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2020 23:01 - 13 Mar 2020 23:17 #160095 by snowgoer540

islander261 wrote:
I use the arc voltage adjust when compensating for worn consumables, I don't use the auto voltage set feature.

Does that work OK John, I knew you used Cut Volts from the Cut Parameters but I wasn't sure if you used height override.

tommylight wrote:
And what would be the use of height overide on an automated machine that can adjust height at any time.

If you use preset Cut Volts like John does above.

Please see attached for Version 3. It's on page 3 of the PDF attached.

I took off Auto Volts because it seemed like no one uses it, is that ok?

Let me know how I did. I know some of the text is a little small now. We can work on that, but just the overall feel?

-Greg
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Mar 2020 23:17 by snowgoer540.

More
13 Mar 2020 23:17 #160096 by phillc54

I think most folk do use Auto Volts.

More
13 Mar 2020 23:18 #160097 by snowgoer540

I think most folk do use Auto Volts.

Let me make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Auto volts to me is the one where it takes your current height and tries to maintain that on its own, based on the voltages it's seeing.

I think the other "auto volts" is when you specify it in the cut parameters, and then it automatically tries to keep that value.

Or am I way off base?

More
13 Mar 2020 23:21 #160098 by snowgoer540
At any rate, here is Version 3.5 (page 3), I added Auto Volts in. It's easy enough to take it away based on whatever we decide.
Attachments:

More
13 Mar 2020 23:29 - 13 Mar 2020 23:29 #160099 by phillc54

Let me make sure we are talking about the same thing.
Auto volts to me is the one where it takes your current height and tries to maintain that on its own, based on the voltages it's seeing.
I think the other "auto volts" is when you specify it in the cut parameters, and then it automatically tries to keep that value.

There is only one Auto Volts which does as you say on line one above. It then keeps the voltage to the Cut Volts specified in the Cut Parameters.

Please see attached for Version 3. It's on page 3 of the PDF attached.
Let me know how I did. I know some of the text is a little small now. We can work on that, but just the overall feel?

You are going to need a EStop as most folk here expect to see one.
I would be tempted to put Estop, Machine (On/Off) & Exit above the loaded file name at the top left.
These buttons are normally only used once each per session and they are then quite a distance from other buttons so less likely to be inadvertently pressed.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2020 23:29 by phillc54.

More
13 Mar 2020 23:42 #160101 by islander261
Read the PlasmaC docs concerning the the functionality of the THC Auto/Enable/Disable functionality. My personal opinion is that all of this subset of the lower right screen belong on a setup tab because they are usually set once at the beginning of the part then not touched during the cut. This will free up space for a jog speed override control and the forward reverse control for error recovery. What I want to do is stay on the main page when there is a cutting or probing error and have all the controls for error recovery there. Cutting and probing errors are a fact of life with plasma cutting and a graceful way of dealing with them is a must.

We are using autovolts to refer to the optional method PlasmaC can use to set the commanded arc voltage using a sample at the start of the cut rather than the voltage set in the material table. Many use it, I don't.

Look at the controls and indicators on the Gmoccapy PlasmaC GUI main screen and try to incorporate their functionality into your display, they are what is needed for cutting.

John

More
14 Mar 2020 00:33 #160107 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac
Once you have one basic design it's also easy to have a second layout tweaked for a specific process.

Chris

More
14 Mar 2020 00:37 #160108 by snowgoer540

You are going to need a EStop as most folk here expect to see one.

Sorry, I guess I was confused. I had left the e-stop button off because I thought you agreed earlier in the thread that we only needed an indicator light, and that software e-stops were a bad thing to rely on?

But at any rate, it's easy to add. Top right probably makes sense!

More
14 Mar 2020 00:42 #160109 by snowgoer540

Once you have one basic design it's also easy to have a second layout tweaked for a specific process.

Chris

That is a very solid point. I think the basic design might be there?

I think some of this gets confused by others because none of the other tabs are defined yet.

I just worry if there is a resistance to some of it because change is scary/difficult sometimes. Clearly not all will agree on every change/layout. But I think we can get a really nice one, and then those people can edit from there?

I dont want to make a different colored version of Gmocappy, or axis. Those were GUIs intended for milling machines. I want to make something that makes sense for this plasma controller.

I wonder where the point is that we move from concept to actual coding/design of the GUI. I'm more than happy to keep churning out different versions out of Powerpoint, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting time either.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds