GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac

More
11 Mar 2020 10:52 #159767 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac

I'm excited to hear what you think.

I really like the clean lines which for my eyes give a good contrast
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2020 15:46 - 11 Mar 2020 18:43 #159779 by snowgoer540

I will make a version 2 tomorrow sometime, and give a bit of an explanation.

Cool.

I agree, my focus was on the main tab, the rest can follow behind that.

That is where it should be, the main screen is the most important (well it is to me anyhow).

Attached is V2.0 with some explanation slides.

Let me know what you think!

-Greg
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Mar 2020 18:43 by snowgoer540. Reason: realized the file didnt display correctly
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
11 Mar 2020 17:37 #159786 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac
Couple of comments.
Definitely need a home all button. Thats all I use and is how 2.8 and master are designed to be used. Gmoccappy is annoying here though becasue there are 2 key strokes at top right to turn machine on and then 2 key strokes at bottom left to home all. Keep them close together. It annoys me every time I turn the machine on (which is the only time I home it)

Need to display the voltage set point and buttons to adjust it up and down. I found on material I had not cut before this allowed quick tuning of the set point (which I later used to modify the cut height eg adjustment on the fly of 3 volts meant I changed cut height by 0.3mm)

Don't loose Phill's laser reference buttons. Thats all I use to pick 0,0.

The concept of testing ohmic sensing to trigger the enable relay is going to be obsolete (it is for me now) with hyper sensing with a THCAD-5.

Need a decent size button to accept MDI input. Gmocappy is woeful in this area with a tiny tick which is too small to use on a touch screen and thats what its designed for. I often select an earlier entered line and can't enter it without a mouse.

I don't understand why we are wasting screen real estate for a spindle and associated tools on a plasma machine. If you must retain it, put it on a secondary tab that is not displayed by default.

I think the onscreen estop/machine on probably needs to be retained to keep Linuxcnc happy. If you do hit estop, you need to hit a screen button to confirm its been cleared to continue.

I'm sure I missed a lot!

More
11 Mar 2020 17:41 #159787 by snowgoer540

I don't understand why we are wasting screen real estate for a spindle and associated tools on a plasma machine. If you must retain it, put it on a secondary tab that is not displayed by default.

Are you commenting on my concept specifically, or the Plasmac GUI in general? Just ask because I didnt have any spindle stuff on my concept.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 34by151

More
11 Mar 2020 18:16 #159791 by Clive S
I personally prefer the colour scheme in V1. to V2 as I find it easier to read.

More
11 Mar 2020 18:45 - 11 Mar 2020 18:45 #159793 by snowgoer540

I'm sorry about that, I didnt realize i had a screen shot on top of the actual slide for the first page. It killed some of the quality when it output.

I deleted the .pdf from my post, and uploaded a new version. I also added the V1 screen shot to the beginning to make the comparison easy.

Please take a look again and see if you still find it hard to read, I suspect some of that was due to it being a screen shot, and not the real deal.

EDIT: Attached here as well for your convenience
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Mar 2020 18:45 by snowgoer540.

More
11 Mar 2020 18:48 #159795 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac

Are you commenting on my concept specifically, or the Plasmac GUI in general? Just ask because I didnt have any spindle stuff on my concept.

On both. I did not see the laser reference on yours.

More
11 Mar 2020 19:16 #159797 by islander261
I am way late here so I may have missed some points.

1. How is the machine taken out of or E-stopped?
2. How are the axis/machine homed?
3. How are the work piece offsets entered?
4. What about the reverse run? This is a very use full feature for cutting error recovery!

High contrast and brightness rule for old guys.

John

More
11 Mar 2020 19:41 #159800 by snowgoer540

I am way late here so I may have missed some points.

1. How is the machine taken out of or E-stopped?
2. How are the axis/machine homed?
3. How are the work piece offsets entered?
4. What about the reverse run? This is a very use full feature for cutting error recovery!

High contrast and brightness rule for old guys.

John

Hey John,

I hit most of that in the explanatory slides. But I'll touch here quick.

1. click the machine button, if it's not physically E-Stopped, it will allow it to power on. If it's physically e-stopped you'd get an error message telling you such. E-Stops should be physical hardware for maximum safety. I never understood the need for the software estop.

2. Click Reference. Right now I have them individually, but I could add a home all as well. I was waiting to hear Phil's comments.

3. Either click Zero Axis, or you could type manually in the DRO window is the current plan.

4. Good question. I dont have reverse run as I am on 2.8, but I Am open to suggestion as to what might be necessary there!

-Greg

More
11 Mar 2020 21:12 #159807 by Clive S

Please take a look again and see if you still find it hard to read, I suspect some of that was due to it being a screen shot, and not the real deal.

Yes that is much better and is good but my preference is V1 because for me the yellow around the boxes stands out.

I personally don't like touch screens.

I am no commenting on the content as I think that is for the pro's that do it for a living .

I do hope this will get finished :) Thanks for the work you are putting into it.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds