Mazak Micro Slant 15 Retrofit

More
10 Dec 2022 02:10 #259059 by tommylight
Mitsubishi TRA 30
I already have them powered and working to a certain point, one of them that is, the Z axis.
Still not sure what the switch with P 0 V does, but when on P it does react to inputs and changes direction, on the other 2 positions it just runs on one direction no matter the input.
Just got back from having a go at tuning it, it did not go well! I got the drive to work and react to commands, but seems the encoders i installed are not feeling OK, the scope trace looks anything but OK on the A and B sides. Will drag the real scope near the machine tomorrow and have another go.
Since it is related, i have 5 of those encoders, bought about 4 years back, never could use them as they are very finicky, even a 0.1mm miss alignment will render them useless and cause differences in pulse speed between the lines. So if the signals do mismatch tomorrow, i am throwing all 5 of them and getting new ones, with proper mounting stuff, not on 3D printed mounts! :)
Oh, almost forgot:
IT'S ALIVEEEEEEE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2022 02:23 #259061 by tommylight
BTW, i do have the maintenance manual, it did help a bit with wiring, but does not help with
P 0 V
or
P O V
still, i have no idea what and how would that be position loop for a drive that has no feedback except tacho going to it, but probably has response and other stuff tuned for position mode use.
That is what the manual seems to say and loosely confirmed today.
I need time .... 3:22AM here.

More
10 Dec 2022 04:08 - 10 Dec 2022 23:49 #259063 by smc.collins
I've got a friend at Melco USA in automation alley. I'll see if i can find anything for ya

this is what he sent back, he said it's a fairly similar drive, but that those OEM drive didn't always get properly documented. 

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Dec 2022 23:49 by smc.collins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Dec 2022 20:43 #259219 by tommylight
Turns out P stands for Power mode???
I did manage to get something useful with velocity tuning, but far from good and with quite violent start/stops, so as i was testing i noticed adding I and D helps a lot, so reset everything and found a post here on the forum for torque mode with single loop tuning by PCW ( i am sure Andy also mentioned the same technique here) and low and behold it works perfectly! :)
Thank you all.
Now i need some better cable for the encoders to replace the puny one i used for testing, and test homing, i could not due to a short cable.
Since i already have everything else working, i would ... have to do some videos, cr@p, i always forget that.
Also did tune the big Messer plasma machine today, again no videos...
I'll go hide under a big rock...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Masiwood123

More
12 Dec 2022 02:20 #259236 by tommylight
Could not sleep so went to the shop and set up the homing.

More
12 Dec 2022 06:16 #259242 by smc.collins
sometimes you just gotta knock it out !!

More
03 Feb 2023 01:09 #263566 by jlennox
Hi Tommy,Fashion be late, I have only just read through your build log, love your work.I have just converted a Mazak VQC-2040B mill that had a M2 control, very similar to T1 control. If you need any help understanding the "translations" in the mazak manuals and what all the wiring names mean I'm sure I can help as after a lot of trial and error I am now at one with their "translations".I have attached my IO spreadsheet if you ever what to see how I have interfaced IO from the machine to my 7i77 and 7i84. I am also happy to share my ladder logic (in-depth with error handling) if you ever want to use some of it for your machine.Good Luck.
Attachments:

More
03 Feb 2023 02:43 #263568 by tommylight
@JLennox,
Thank you very much, but it is finished, just need to change the encoder wiring as one is way to short.
Also need to add the great lathe macro/tab/gui that Andy made.
Was working out of town for quite a while, so now catching up as much as i can, it is winter here although no snow.
Not sure if i uploaded all the pages with the wiring though, will have to go through this topic again.
I will check your list, there are plenty of pins i left unused, mostly did not need those, like the fast turret rotation, it is to damn fast and changed with a switch, can not allow that on a machine i might sell and getting calls later. And there is always the option i forgot something... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jlennox

More
19 Feb 2023 10:49 #264801 by dctrytsman
Hi Tommy

I am busy working on a Mazak QT20U with the exact same controls and drives as yours .

I am currently stuck with wiring the servo drives (TRA31 and TRA41).

How did you wire everything up ?

I have the maintenance manual ,but I can't get the drives to come on at all.

Thanks
Dylan

More
19 Feb 2023 14:08 #264806 by tommylight
Word of warning, the drives use different color wiring for the same function, takes a lot of effort to keep those in check.
I am sure i have uploaded pictures everything i wrote down while working on it, not sure if i did write the enable wiring, that was the last thing i did before setting up homing.
Have a look and let me know if there is anything missing, i will gladly add it as soon as i can.
-
I did upload the latest working config, everything working properly, might need editing to retract the turret before a tool change.
It is under the second post, did not edit the first due to pictures and stuff.

Time to create page: 0.364 seconds