Tiny Computer with Printer port

More
26 May 2014 18:20 - 26 May 2014 18:32 #47338 by midworld08
OK that worked it ran again.

In the menuconfig settings I found no C99 option. CPU was already set to 1, and mathsfun was already selected.

The command ;
wget buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/lucid/v2.5_b...inuxcnc_2.5.1.tar.gz
errors, although since I'm not fussed about having 2.5.1 just yet I left it.
Although I have followed the manual update instructions for 2.3 to 2.4, and then 2.4 to 2.5.1 so as far as I can tell that is done :) This went without a hitch.

Got the magma-precompiled...unzipped it into usr/src and then did the make install. It also seemed to run well.

I did a restart, and tried linuxcnc only to receive the message;
LinuxCNC requires the real-time kernel 2.6.24-16-rtai to run.
Before running LinuxCNC, reboot and choose this kernel at the boot menu.

Hmmm still not happy with the vortex kernal. So what has gone wrong? I've got most of the errors, which I have attached in the text file. I've removed most of the output as its so large, and just tried to capture the errors. Hopefully this makes sense. Not sure what else to provide to figure this out some more.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 May 2014 18:32 by midworld08. Reason: more clarification

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2014 18:39 #47340 by ArcEye

I did a restart, and tried linuxcnc only to receive the message;

You need to build linuxcnc as a RIP install against the pre-compiled realtime and the vortex kernel

Just using the 'linuxcnc' command will try to start the version that came with the 8.04 install in /usr/bin, which does require the 8.04 kernel
The following user(s) said Thank You: midworld08

More
26 May 2014 18:44 #47341 by ArcEye

In the menuconfig settings I found no C99 option. CPU was already set to 1, and mathsfun was already selected.
I've got most of the errors, which I have attached in the text file.

The errors are from trying to build RTAI, which you don't need to, it is pre-compiled and just requires make install to install it

It was because RTAI would no longer build against the vortex kernel that I took that step, the stage2 script is probably well out of date now, it has been a long time since I looked at it

More
26 May 2014 21:23 #47352 by midworld08
WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

What does this look like....
root@CNC:/usr/src/linuxcnc-dev# linuxcnc
LINUXCNC - 2.7.0~pre0
Machine configuration directory is '/usr/src/linuxcnc-dev/configs/by_interface/parport/stepper'
Machine configuration file is 'stepper_mm.ini'
Starting LinuxCNC...
No option 'tto_g11' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'show_program' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'show_rapids' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'program_alpha' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'show_live_plot' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'show_tool' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'show_extents' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'show_offsets' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'grid_size' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'show_machine_limits' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'show_machine_speed' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'show_distance_to_go' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'dro_large_font' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'block_delete' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'optional_stop' in section: 'DEFAULT'
No option 'recentfiles' in section: 'DEFAULT'
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
root@CNC:/usr/src/linuxcnc-dev#

The sweet smell of success. OK not sure where to go from here but what I've managed to do is;
1) git the linuxcnc source and compile it inside 8.04 vortex kernel. Following these instructions
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Instal...ge_already_installed
2) Solved most dependencies with synaptic.
3) had to compile without libusb as no deb package for 8.04, and the source needed libudev0 which I couldn't find either? Not sure how important libusb is to linuxcnc as its not a USB using program?

So that is 2.7 running, but I don't think stepconf is available, but then I can use the old one and set the run command to link to that file....
Also latency test will not run under this kernel, but I should be able to get the figures good enough, or should I persevere?
I also don't know how to get the menu's to load the new version, which should come good with an internet search and all. But its 90% there.
Much appreciated for the help....
The following user(s) said Thank You: tkamsker

More
26 May 2014 21:42 #47354 by ArcEye
Well done

had to compile without libusb as no deb package for 8.04, and the source needed libudev0 which I couldn't find either? Not sure how important libusb is to linuxcnc as its not a USB using program?

I think those were included to cater for USB pendants, you probably do not need them

Also latency test will not run under this kernel, but I should be able to get the figures good enough, or should I persevere?

In a terminal cd to /usr/realtime/testsuite/user/latency and run the program called run
That will give you a much better latency test anyway

I also don't know how to get the menu's to load the new version,

You can't.

The RIP install has to be run from a terminal, with the environment set so that all the elements are found within the RIP directory. You cannot do this from a menu entry, because the environment is a per session setting which applies to that terminal session only

You will soon get used to opening a terminal and
$ cd /usr/src/linuxcnc-dev
$ . ./scripts/rip-environment
$ linuxcnc

Time to make some chips!

regards

More
26 May 2014 22:05 #47356 by midworld08

In a terminal cd to /usr/realtime/testsuite/user/latency and run the program called run
That will give you a much better latency test anyway

My run does not work?
root@CNC:/usr/src/linuxcnc-dev# cd /usr/realtime/testsuite/user/latency
root@CNC:/usr/realtime/testsuite/user/latency# ls
display latency run
root@CNC:/usr/realtime/testsuite/user/latency# run
bash: run: command not found

After setting in the environment after a logout/login I issued a cmd latency-test and it ran up. Not looking good though, Max jitter base thread 25000 with me just surfing the net and muching around. Seen others report much better figures with this little beast.... :unsure:

More
26 May 2014 22:25 #47357 by ArcEye

root@CNC:/usr/realtime/testsuite/user/latency# run
bash: run: command not found

You need to use ./run, otherwise it will try to look for run in the path set in environment.

Not looking good though, Max jitter base thread 25000 with me just surfing the net and muching around.

I can't remember what my figures were, they are probably on the thread somewhere

Don't run Firefox as a test, it is a small processor, restricted speed disk access and restricted RAM, there is bound to be a big spike when you try to start it.
You would not be starting Firefox whilst using something like this as a controller.

That is where the realtime latency test comes in, you can see what the underlying jitter is, not the cumulative highest spike that is never repeated

regards

More
27 May 2014 07:59 #47375 by andypugh

You will soon get used to opening a terminal and
$ cd /usr/src/linuxcnc-dev
$ . ./scripts/rip-environment
$ linuxcnc

I have slightly lost track, but if this was a compiled-in-place system then it can be compiled as a non-RIP (installed) version with the --prefix option in ./configure, I believe?

I know that is normally doable anyway.

More
27 May 2014 15:31 #47384 by ArcEye

I have slightly lost track, but if this was a compiled-in-place system then it can be compiled as a non-RIP (installed) version with the --prefix option in ./configure, I believe?

I know that is normally doable anyway.

It can be, but it would overwrite all of the base 8.04 install of linuxcnc

This method was adopted so that either kernel could be booted and the relevant Linuxcnc version used.

There is nothing wrong with the stock rtai kernel that comes with 8.04, except that it does not support the ethernet chip in the NCBOX, so no internet access with it.

regards

More
29 May 2014 17:15 #47510 by midworld08
Well its all still progressing rather nicely. I've loaded LXDE onto it, and that is a heap faster, and improved the latency figure stability to around 12k, even if I loaded firefox. (OK Arceye I know you said not too, but I just couldn't help myself :laugh: )

I am looking to make this a full install. This is my CNC, and when I turn it on I want it to boot straight into the program and be ready to make chips. I don't want firefox, email, office programs on it. All I want left is a text editor, linuxcnc B), and a terminal when I am done.

So I made a backup of all the goodness I've got there now. I've used Clonezilla.

I don't think I'll use the old kernel again, and I certainly don't want the old linuxcnc in the final version I create. So that info about installed version was what I was actually scratching around trying to find out.....without asking directly.

I must say that the new 2.7 is pretty damn good :woohoo: You guys have done a nice job on it. Even my old install I only ran 2.3 due to the hardware before, and not attempting a compile. It accepts the mastercam NC files without modification. Now that is nice. I'm still trying to compile libusb and get a complete linuxcnc compile.

If I succeed you'll hear the about the success I would say :)

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds