Tiny Computer with Printer port

More
05 Oct 2014 22:15 #51805 by midworld08
Please take note I have solved the CF booting problems and started a different thread to house it all there if people need more help.

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...ox-cf-booting-solved

Cheers
Col
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2014 00:40 #52669 by tkamsker
Hi friends of nc computer
i bought a new fresh cf card and build me an fresh 2.6 live cd usb stick ,..

and against all odds i tried to boot the little ncbox because i need to have the 2.6 kernel ;)-
i did get an Loading /live/vmlinuz
loading /live/initrd.img .... ready
This kernel requires following feature not present on CPU cmlv

uanble to boot etc etc

Question do you think it is possible to get newest build on an kernel which works with that ncbox

and btw i have an working card with the image of arc eye but can't recall the user and password any hint for me;)

thx
thomas

More
02 Nov 2014 01:15 #52670 by ArcEye

and btw i have an working card with the image of arc eye but can't recall the user and password any hint for me;)

OTTOMH user=ncbox password=linuxcnc

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: tkamsker

More
02 Nov 2014 11:38 #52682 by midworld08
Thomas I have a version of 2.7 running. I am just having a few problems getting the image of the CF card.

I will upload it to a Google Drive and share it, hopefully this week.

The problem I am having is when I I look at the CF card, it reports that only 2.3G is used out of the 16G available. When I dd the image it seems to miss some of the files, and corrupt the image, unless I dd the full 16G. I'll gunzip the 16G image and see if that comes down to a size that is uploadable. But it also means you need a 16G CF to drop the image onto, unless you can figure out what I am doing wrong and can sort it out?

More
02 Nov 2014 21:28 #52689 by tkamsker
Hi
i think when you use the dd command like arc eye suggested it should work
i now have 2 cf cards working
one with the 8.04 LTS manual upgraded and one with arc eyes iso on it (and english keyboard as well ;)-

So i would now like to do an git pull and recompile because i have an 2.6 pre running
now the issue is something in tkl changed so i need to be able to do an apt-get install

but this ip is outdated now my question (to save time in first place )
so if anyone has an short how to or how to be able to get the missing things installed (iso is also ok ;)-
then this would help me

i would then use the ncbox for an cnc lathe with steppers and do also an pcb for the 2nd lpt to get some buttons MPG and stuff going

if that works stable i would be happy
thx
thomas

More
02 Nov 2014 22:13 #52693 by midworld08
Thomas,

The approximate sequence is;

1) You first have to edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list and set it up to point to the servers which now store all repositories, as the servers currently in the sources.list were from the days when Hardy Heron was being supported. After you set the address of the servers up, you update the headers

sudo aptitude update

You should see a huge list of the headers update when you do this.

Some info here (but I think the address of the servers mentioned there is incorrect)
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=783577

2) Install synaptic if its not already. You'll need this to install dependancies.

3) Git the version of LinuxCNC you are after. I did this from sources and followed the compile your own LinuxCNC version. This errors when compiling when packages are missing. You then Synaptic the packages in, and you are off and running.

I never did sort out the USB dependancy, just haven't had time....

There is probably more to it, and its probably worth starting a fresh thread on it. I have attached my sources.list so you can put that in place and issue the update command. You should be off and running after that. Oh of course you need to have the NCbox on a network connected to the internet.

Cheers
Col

More
02 Nov 2014 22:16 #52694 by ArcEye

So i would now like to do an git pull and recompile because i have an 2.6 pre running
now the issue is something in tkl changed so i need to be able to do an apt-get install

but this ip is outdated now my question (to save time in first place )
so if anyone has an short how to or how to be able to get the missing things installed (iso is also ok ;)-
then this would help me

Not quite sure exactly what you are after, Thomas.

Are you wanting to update to run 2.6.x from packages on 8.04?

Or do you want to pull the sources to build for yourself?

regards

More
09 Nov 2014 01:09 #52962 by tkamsker
Hi col and arceye
(my normal workload is now higher than normal so i just had time to see)
thx colin i was able to create an CF card from your image works like charm
Strange is that i have the feeling that it is faster than the one provided by arc eye
and same like the compiled i have
i now have 3 CF (and one free to play)
1 is the original working 8.04 with manual compiled kernel network and i runs linuxcnc 2.5.x something
1 is the image of arc eye with the reduced screen ( i forgot the name sorry ) works also
1 is colins image which i closer to what i want
i would like to have an bunt on that ncbox where i can have an linuxcnc 2.6.3 (or whatever )
fresh from git

in an ideal world i could use an mod bus device via usb
and in heaven i could use my touchscreen with gmoccapy but that is probably not gonna happen ;)-

so colin please send me the root password for that image (pm ? ) then i would prepare one set which may be more up to date
and i would try if i get the touchscreen gmoccapy or so to run
thx
thomas
and if that works i think of importing some of that boxes ,..

More
24 Nov 2014 03:04 #53327 by tkamsker
Hi,
I was playing this weekend to some extend i was successful
i did some speed test

so i think that that little box is a quite nice piece of hardware ,..

If colin could contact me (about root password ) then i could use his image as well and see
thx
so far thomas

More
24 Nov 2014 22:43 #53355 by midworld08
Thomas,
Username: colin
The password should be : sophie

Daughters name :laugh: Sorry forgot to say so.

Glad you got some success. My NCbox parallel port is faulty. I'm back to the drawing board on computers, and I can't say I will buy another NCbox. Did you get the 2.7.3 version running or you still after a fresh image?
Cheers
Col

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds