Arduino based USB Pendant for Linuxcnc

More
08 Oct 2012 16:41 #25129 by r00t4rd3d
How did you make the keypad and hook it up? I cant tell from the pictures, you cant see the backside of the buttons or anything....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2012 07:50 #25159 by ArcEye
Hi

How did you make the keypad and hook it up? I cant tell from the pictures, you cant see the backside of the buttons or anything....

It is a membrane keypad, approx 3mm thick, with the ribbon connector passed through a slot underneath it,
It is stuck to the enclosure using contact adhesive. The new key designations are printed onto self adhesive gloss inkjet paper and stuck over the originals

I got the pad from here
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-key-Membrane-Keypa...&hash=item1e72430554

They have a link to example code and connections. It takes up 8 pins.

If you blow up the 2nd picture you could work out which pins just from that.
8 pins from above RX and TX using a Duemilanove . The keypad ribbon connector differs either side, so you can get the orientation from that.

You will note that I just used the original key designations in the code and then assigned them to their new uses rather than start off with those in the replacement fascia.
This is simply because in development and testing I used the keypad as it was, so that was easier, I only put a new facia on it when I had finished.

regards

More
20 Oct 2012 15:44 #25488 by tkamsker
Hi,
Nice work ,..
if you like i can forward you the code of how to integrate an "real" Jog Wheel using interrupts.

And have you ever tried teensy it is much easier to emulate
And it is based on another mans work but the files to look at are here www.tkamsker.at/web/pub/emc2-handrad
and the (my) story is here www.tkamsker.at/web/pub/aktivitaeten/-/b...ad-arduino-basierend

cu
thomas

More
20 Oct 2012 16:29 #25490 by ArcEye

Nice work ,..
if you like i can forward you the code of how to integrate an "real" Jog Wheel using interrupts.

Thanks
I am always interested to look at new code, so please do.

I will have a look at the other links over the weekend, already noted a familiar link to the chap who didn't like Jeff Eplers code, seems to have added a bit more to his pages now.

regards

More
27 Oct 2012 00:09 - 28 Oct 2012 17:24 #25846 by GPappy

Hi

It is a membrane keypad, approx 3mm thick, with the ribbon connector passed through a slot underneath it,
It is stuck to the enclosure using contact adhesive. The new key designations are printed onto self adhesive gloss inkjet paper and stuck over the originals

I got the pad from here
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-key-Membrane-Keypa...&hash=item1e72430554

I am curious about the custom fascia. I have looked at these pads for another project I am working on but wanted something besides the standard 0-9 A,B,C,D etc. Is it robust enough for long term use or will the ink eventually wear off the paper?

Greg

Last edit: 28 Oct 2012 17:24 by ArcEye. Reason: tidy

More
27 Oct 2012 00:22 #25847 by tkamsker
Hi,
It is an Simple 5 x 5 (To save Pins on the Arduino ) Array
And the Switches are "Tactile" Switches i used www.conrad.at/ce/de/product/701749/TE-Co...r-NA/SHOP_AREA_17384

They work fine and so i can have 25 Keys so 16 might also be possible if you think of Space

I am fighting right now woth the atc (basically with the axis screen the macros work ) and if that is done i finnish the pendant
I want then also be able to control the tools with it

cu
thomas

More
27 Oct 2012 14:52 #25872 by ArcEye
Hi

I am curious about the custom fascia. I have looked at these pads for another project I am working on but wanted something besides the standard 0-9 A,B,C,D etc. Is it robust enough for long term use or will the ink eventually wear off the paper?

The printed overlay is not very robust and certainly not oil or water proof. It has fared quite well during testing but I may have to experiment with laminating to try to get an overlay that lasts.

A colour laser printed one would probably be a bit more resilient, I just used what I had to hand.

regards

More
27 Oct 2012 22:10 #25889 by GPappy
If you come up with a robust solution to the overlay issue I would be interested in what you discover.

Greg

More
28 Oct 2012 01:02 #25898 by andypugh
You can get laser-printable plastic film (sold as waterproof paper) which might work well.
I bought a few sheets from eBay a while ago (it's rather expensive by the ream)

More
28 Oct 2012 02:54 - 28 Oct 2012 03:09 #25904 by r00t4rd3d
I am going to print mine on some of that glossy printer paper made for photos.

ArcEye do you still have the keypad graphic you made and if so can you post it?
Last edit: 28 Oct 2012 03:09 by r00t4rd3d.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds