Remora for RP2040

More
04 Jun 2023 02:06 - 04 Jun 2023 06:26 #272856 by drewnabobber
Replied by drewnabobber on topic Remora for RP2040
Picobob was designed during the height of the chip shortage so used more or less the most basic parts I could find. Transistors are cheap and since there are 12 lines you would need either two chips or waste lines on a 16 channel. This is why the inputs are inverted, that was the most available Schmitt trigger input IC I could find. There are still supply issues with simple 5V nononverting buffers as I had to special order parts to build our PicoHAL board.

I will have a look at the other requests but i did want to keep the pinout pretty close to the existing picobob to avoid ripping things up too much and to preserve the performance that it gets with the GRBLHAL PIO stepper code.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2023 06:26 by drewnabobber.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2023 02:31 #272858 by drewnabobber
Also just checked and the cost of the 12 transistors is about a tenth or less the cost of the 74series buffer/translator to accomplish the same task here.

More
04 Jun 2023 05:34 #272860 by scotta
Replied by scotta on topic Remora for RP2040
Thanks for explanation, totally get it.

Did you populate the boards yourself or use someone like JLPCB? Hoping you share the files etc like the PicoBob so I can get a few of these made for testing and Remora RP2040 development.

More
04 Jun 2023 06:56 #272861 by drewnabobber
For sure you can get PicoBOBs (including the new design) fully assembled by JLC quite easily. This is kind of our thing, we are trying to build things for everyone to build and use, not just prototypes. If we post the board the files will be available just like all our CNC designs under the CERN license.

Just keep in mind there is not a lot of overhead on the 3.3V rail. It is designed to power the PicoBOB, not other things. Is there a schematic available for the pendant you want to use?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Jun 2023 20:17 - 04 Jun 2023 20:20 #272904 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic Remora for RP2040
media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/ON%2.../2N5551,MMBT5551.pdf

Current - Collector (Ic) (Max) 600 mA

Voltage - Collector Emitter Breakdown (Max) 160 V

vs far lower for the SN74ALVC164245
www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74alvc164245.pdf

Which do you think will last longer in a machine environment?
Last edit: 04 Jun 2023 20:20 by Bari.

More
05 Jun 2023 01:06 #272922 by scotta

For sure you can get PicoBOBs (including the new design) fully assembled by JLC quite easily. This is kind of our thing, we are trying to build things for everyone to build and use, not just prototypes. If we post the board the files will be available just like all our CNC designs under the CERN license.

Just keep in mind there is not a lot of overhead on the 3.3V rail. It is designed to power the PicoBOB, not other things. Is there a schematic available for the pendant you want to use?

The pendant will need 5V supply as well, glad you asked. Hopefully VSYS would be suitable for that.

More
05 Jun 2023 01:14 #272924 by scotta
No schematic available but below is the manual

nvcnc.net/pdf/NVCNC_NVMPG_EN.pdf

More
05 Jun 2023 03:01 #272927 by drewnabobber
I will just put the pins out to an SMD header on the bottom and so that you can solder stuff up to it. Our users have lots of USB options for pendants when they use LinuxCNC and we have an OSHW pendant that we're working on as well:

Attachments:

More
07 Jun 2023 02:09 #273050 by drewnabobber
Work in progress, I decided to do the rip-up and I have added two headers which mate with our existing keypad pendant device that we use with FlexiHAL.  These two headers have the pins that you wanted (UART and some GPIO, plus 3.3V and 5V) so you should be able to make a small interface module to connect to any pendant or just fly wire things.

github.com/Expatria-Technologies/RT_Jog_Controller

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bari, scotta

More
07 Jun 2023 02:14 #273052 by scotta
Thanks! The jog controller is interesting. Is there details on the protocol used somewhere? Maybe a Remora module for it would be a better solution.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds