[ Vfdmod ] An easy VFD control over MODBUS RTU

More
31 Mar 2024 09:32 - 31 Mar 2024 09:35 #297266 by Calysto
Pickle, I can only speak for myself, but for me it it was to much hassle to get VDFMOD working on a PI. I just used a standard component of Linuxcnc: MB2HAL. linuxcnc.org/docs/html/drivers/mb2hal.html
Your VFD looks well documented. First look for modbus capability's, does it support:

read_coils
read_discrete_inputs
read_holding_registers
read_input_registers
write_single_coil
write_single_register
write_multiple_coils
write_multiple_registers

Work with the ones your VFD supports. Look for examples,  ask some questions, don't expect it will be easy, and be happy :-)
Last edit: 31 Mar 2024 09:35 by Calysto.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2024 21:53 #297309 by Pickle
Thanks for your input. I tried with mb2hal first with my H100 vfd on an old (sempron) pc, but couldn't get anywhere, hence the switch to VFDMOD. To my mind the "user manual" for mb2hal is not written for the uninitiated! The VFDMOD instructions were easy to follow and once I had decoded the H100 manual the implementation on PC was straightforward.   I have revisited MB2HAL for the Pi5/arm64 but I cannot get my head around it - mental block.  I could (and may have to)  go back to the PC and implement VFDMOD alongside the mesa 7i92 on that, but solving the RPi5 implementation is a challenge I don't want to fail on! 
Perhaps - and I realise it is a big ask - you could share your config files to give me another view on the implementation?

More
01 Apr 2024 07:19 #297343 by Calysto
I don't know if anybody uses VFDMOD on a PI. I'm not a Linux-guru. It is indeed easier. The manual of MB2HAL is....... and you can't do calculations (scaling) within MB2HAL. So you have to do that in your HAL-files.

Here you see me struggling.  On page 2 I share my files. They are not well documented, you can probably just copy/paste it and change your modbus addresses. If you had a working VFDMOD config, you are very close :-)

I had to use my PI because my 7c80 requires it, but if I had an other interface I would just use a PC.... well, a PI5 is nice.....

More
01 Apr 2024 09:29 #297351 by Pickle
Thanks....you are a star! If I have any success I will post here....

More
01 Apr 2024 11:18 #297355 by Pickle
FYI .. Pi5 works well with mesa 7i92 to give latency results shown in attachment.
Attachments:

More
05 Apr 2024 19:52 #297665 by Pickle
OK - I am at a loss with MB2HAL - I want VFDMOD!  Question is how do I get it for an architecture that is very new on the block - Pi5?  The arm64 side of things is dealt with in the arm64 release for Pi. I have been looking into recompiling VFDMOD for arm64, but having followed the QT route it seems there are a couple of fiiles that are missing, namely hal.c and hal.h. The quote form one of the posts states words to the effect "... get QT and rebuild" - but it aint't that easy. Or is it? 

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds