Bridgeport Torq-Cut TC4G Retrofit

More
23 Apr 2020 00:18 - 23 Apr 2020 00:20 #165167 by chopper79
Took more covers off and found more stuff to clean. Also seems like there is a Y axis thrust bearing going out.

A thought on the trust bearings... There are no oil lines going to them and I am sure that the previous owner did not PM this thing. I think I am going to run oil lines to the thrust bearings and meter the volume to an acceptable mount specified by the bearing OEM. This should help extend the life of them.

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Apr 2020 00:20 by chopper79.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb, tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2020 10:29 #165205 by tommylight
That still looks pretty clean compared to a Hurco i retrofitted a while ago, it was full even under the covers!

More
29 Apr 2020 23:58 #166173 by chopper79
Yeah it is not terrible, but still dirtier than I care for. I will have to say that this is going to take longer than I wanted due to me taking the mill down to the casting. This includes rails, ball screws, oil lines, everything comes off. Only way I can get all the junk off of the mill and get a solid paint job on it.

I will update more when I get things torn down and begin the journey going back together.

One other thing..... I have a TC2G up for grabs now if anyone is interested before I start taking it apart and selling off parts. (No need or room for both machines.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Apr 2020 07:16 #166194 by tommylight

One other thing..... I have a TC2G up for grabs now if anyone is interested before I start taking it apart and selling off parts. (No need or room for both machines.)

I am to damn far from everything ! :)

More
01 May 2020 13:40 #166312 by Todd Zuercher

Yeah it is not terrible, but still dirtier than I care for. I will have to say that this is going to take longer than I wanted due to me taking the mill down to the casting. This includes rails, ball screws, oil lines, everything comes off. Only way I can get all the junk off of the mill and get a solid paint job on it.

I will update more when I get things torn down and begin the journey going back together.

Where is it located and what do you want for it?

More
13 May 2020 02:13 #167597 by chopper79
East Tennessee and 4k would be nice.

More
13 May 2020 02:16 - 13 May 2020 02:24 #167598 by chopper79
While I am cleaning still I took some time to build the PC for the machine. Here are the results so far with no setting changes.

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 May 2020 02:24 by chopper79.

More
16 Aug 2020 16:33 #178412 by chopper79
Well it has been awhile since I posted any updates due to work, farm, and family. Here is the current state of the mill.

1) Torn down and all rails and ball screws came off. Removed paint and prepped surfaces This thing was bare casting minus the electrical enclosure.
2) Painted (SW Sher-Kem paint)
3) Starting to go back together (Z axis rails and ball screw back in along with spindle cartridge and head).
4) Adding lubrication to all the thrust bearings as there was none from the factory and that just did not seem right to me. Need to do the front thrust bearing still.

As I find time to do more I will update.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb, tommylight, johnmc1

More
10 Sep 2020 16:10 #181651 by Catch22
Thats looking awesome.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: chopper79

More
19 Dec 2020 22:53 #192485 by chopper79
Still working on getting the machine back together. Painting is coming along nicely, but slow due to work and misc. Should be able to begin wiring in 3-4 weeks as all major items will be done by then.

1) Rebuilt the transmission (Awaiting install)
2) All heavy components including machine bed have been installed.
3) Painted multiple parts
4) Began running new air lines and any needed oil lines.
5) Awaiting new spindle motor bearings, so rebuild of motor can begin. (Currently disassembled, just awaiting bearings)

I sometimes think that I should have just cleaned it up and put it to work. I would have regretted not doing it as I have found many items needing repaired/replaced. I guess it would have eventually happened anyway.

Next post will include picture updates as I am slacking on them right now. Just want to update the thread if anyone was wonder if the project was still alive.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.631 seconds