A Widescreen Blender-Style Interface

More
28 Jun 2018 01:40 #112947 by BrendaEM
I did test to see what exporting a single button was like. Not bad...though, Inkscape has and issue that I will have to work around: Inkscape cannot stroke objects on the inside of their parameter. So, I guess, I will export each button large, and then 2 smaller sizes from the export.

I am thinking that the buttons, like web graphics, can be exported in 3 states each, up, down, and deactivated(greyed). Supporting touchescreens means no mouseovers.

I have tried to limit the number of button sizes, and control types.

When things get far enough long, I will of-course upload the inkscape .svg file somewhere. Oddly, the inkscape .svg will currently barely fit on this webforum page itself, but it will likely just grow over the limit.

~

Thank you Chris, still the interface design is built mostly on top of the work that many other people have contributed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2018 02:04 - 28 Jun 2018 02:07 #112951 by andypugh
The Inkscape .svg will probably shrink as a plain .svg

SVG is cool! I made a slicer for a 3D printer where the output was an SV G and you could view it layer-by layer in any web browser just by appending slice heights as ?z=nn to the URL.

Annoyingly, I lost the code that did that.

You could potentially make your whole GUI SVG. It would make scaling to different screens easy. (but it would distort). I am pretty sure that SVG can be made "sensitive"
tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Button.html

Should you? Now that's a different question :-)
Last edit: 28 Jun 2018 02:07 by andypugh.

More
28 Jun 2018 02:09 #112953 by BrendaEM
It's freaky to accidentally open the graphic file for the interface in a web browser.

More
28 Jun 2018 02:25 #112957 by Sparky961
The day CNC machines are controlled through a web interface is the day I stop machining.

More
28 Jun 2018 02:36 #112961 by InMyDarkestHour

The day CNC machines are controlled through a web interface is the day I stop machining.

Amen brother....machinekit (a fork of linuxcnc) seems to be going this way.....the Maker crowd seem to like that kind of thing.
"Over the interent" seems to be a thing as well.....go figure

More
28 Jun 2018 04:35 #112965 by Lcvette
Yeah...... That's a bit premature. Maybe it something completely buffered before starting, but not way real-time. I guess using fusion cry all the time about it being web based, is all peaches until internet hiccups then the pikes come out...lol

More
28 Jun 2018 04:37 - 28 Jun 2018 04:39 #112967 by BrendaEM
Last edit: 28 Jun 2018 04:39 by BrendaEM.

More
29 Jun 2018 06:01 #113057 by BrendaEM
I have a problem in that, I see several different axis definitions for lathes. I've read, X,Y,U. I have seen the ways the apron slide across be called Z.

I am not sure what buttons most people will want.

I've noticed that on the probe page that just applying labels to indicators makes it uneasy for the the eye to scan them. Perhaps a lable area thingy can be used, which are lighter than the button perimeters.

BTW, lathe feedback would be appreciated. As with the mill and torch, I am trying to meet most needs, and not be too limiting.

Attachments:

More
01 Jul 2018 05:53 - 01 Jul 2018 05:56 #113153 by BrendaEM
Well, I finally got to run my CNC machine, today. I think that using my machine will make a better interface.

For some reason, I did not find it easy to read the Gcode in Axis.

Aside from layouts, I had a few UI ideas:
  • Wordwrap on the gcode editor, that can be toggled.
  • Long press/click on the readout to enter a go-to position. Of course it would need an are-you-sure.
  • Coordinate systems can have real names, or still use g54....
  • Adjusters that can be long-pressed/clicked for entering numerical values like in NativeCam]
Last edit: 01 Jul 2018 05:56 by BrendaEM.

More
01 Jul 2018 05:56 #113154 by KCJ
Looking great as usual!

Before you spend any more time trying to export images ... I do not think it is a good idea to use images (in any format) for UI elements. It is a nightmare trying to keep up with all the image files for the different states, and if you want to tweak a color (or border width, or .. ) you have to regenerate ALL the files. Also it makes the code much more complicated and less efficient as you have to load and unload the images constantly,

A much better approach is to style widgets. Almost all modern GUI toolkits support styling in one way or another. Both Gtk3 and Qt use a form of CSS, which is easy to use and extremely powerful.

In a few minutes and 40 lines of code, I came pretty close to reproducing your DROs using Qt widgets styled with qss:

Concentrate on the design, that's is clearly where your talent lies. Don't worry too much about the implementation at this point!

Cheers,
Kurt
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrendaEM

Time to create page: 4.592 seconds