A Widescreen Blender-Style Interface

More
15 Jun 2018 23:35 - 15 Jun 2018 23:44 #112445 by BrendaEM
So, it seems that this is what has developed....

The persistent areas are generally similar from machine to machine, and can be drawn over.
I like the idea of having a nice big Estop area, though nothing should overlay the machine areas.

Thanks for the spell-check Andy : )

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jun 2018 23:44 by BrendaEM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2018 23:42 #112448 by andypugh
Maybe I haven't made it clear that I support the idea of a well thought out, attractive user interface. A common complaint from Mach3 users is that LinuxCNC looks bad, or has no "skins" or whatever. It would be nice to be able to refute that.

More
15 Jun 2018 23:44 - 15 Jun 2018 23:51 #112449 by BrendaEM
That's why we are here : )
Well, I wanted to give something back, too.

Though, as I have stated, all the present interfaces have good ideas...that I am trying to rip off equally. The big Estop idea came from the Craftsman interface, but it was changed to be on the right because most people are right-handed. Left-hander's are quicker than we are, so they can make up the difference : )

There's even a little bit of a newspaper strip layout in there, too.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2018 23:51 by BrendaEM.

More
16 Jun 2018 01:15 #112453 by rodw

Everyone needs a lathe, but most don't realise it

Love your work Andy B)

If I had more room, I'd have 2!

More
19 Jun 2018 11:39 #112576 by BrendaEM
Starting on some Probe icons based from the existing layout, which is pretty good, but as always, it will be a challenge to make everything fit for a touch screen.

As a minor gotcha, there needs to be an extended separator on the right when replacing the 3D view.

Attachments:

More
19 Jun 2018 12:33 #112578 by Sparky961
It occurred to me after looking at your more recent screenshots that the DRO elements don't need to have near as many significant digits. Most commercial mills and lathes I've seen don't go beyond 0.0001", and I'd bet that even the best grinders and EDM machines don't need any more than 6 significant digits.

I suspect the space that's saved could be used more efficiently.

More
19 Jun 2018 16:03 #112587 by BrendaEM
When I started, I just went for a 10-digit mantissa.

Because the area immediately to the right of the displays are populated with some of the most-used buttons, they are large. And because they are large, it would take the loss of perhaps 4-5 digits to return add another row of buttons.

Ideally, you are likely right, though.

More
19 Jun 2018 16:10 #112588 by andypugh
As a sanity check:

The coefficient of thermal expansion of aluminium is 23^-6 / K

A 10mm (very small) part will expand 0.0002mm for a 1 degree change in part temperature.

4 decimal places for a metric layout and 6(maybe 5) on imperial covers pretty much any part that it is possible to manufacture. On a real machine the extra digits are just visual noise.

More
19 Jun 2018 16:19 #112589 by andypugh
Or to look at it another way: How many digits are on the digital micrometer that you will inspect the parts with?

I have managed to find one micrometer with 6 digits in imperial:
ecatalog.mitutoyo.com/MDH-Micrometer-Hig...icrometer-C1816.aspx
Most have only 5.

More
19 Jun 2018 16:41 #112591 by Sparky961

Most have only 5.

And often that last digit is a "0" or a "5".

Thanks for adding context to my comment. As a programmer, give me as many bits as you can spare. As a machinist, you were spot on when you call the extra numbers "noise".

Getting into the "tenths" range of measurements (0.0001" or approx. 0.003mm) and achieving repeatable results requires an incredibly clean environment, high quality (expensive) tools, and temperature/process controls.

Time to create page: 0.267 seconds