Work with probe

More
14 Aug 2023 21:32 - 14 Aug 2023 22:45 #278003 by lrak
Replied by lrak on topic Work with probe
@Vector

Read what I wrote more carefully - I pointed you to the python3-fixed code that mwidlow provided.  (It is closer to working).

There is a real problem that we have so many forks.. 
@mwidlow

Did you see this version?  PSNG_V3 ?
Looking at github.com/alkabal/PSNG_V3

It fails - appears to be looking for dynamicZ.so which is not part of linuxcnc-uspace - returns this error:

dynamicZ: dlopen: /usr/lib/linuxcnc/modules/dynamicZ.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dynamicZ: dlopen: /usr/lib/linuxcnc/modules/dynamicZ.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

post-gui-dynamicZ.hal:6: waitpid failed /usr/bin/rtapi_app dynamicZ
post-gui-dynamicZ.hal:6: /usr/bin/rtapi_app exited without becoming ready
post-gui-dynamicZ.hal:6: insmod for dynamicZ failed, returned -1
**** PSNG_V3 INFO Place in table ****
****  probe_screen GETINIINFO ****
 Preference file path: /home/karl/linuxcnc/configs/wells-probe/wells.pref
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/gladevcp", line 346, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/gladevcp", line 227, in main
    handlers, mod, obj = load_handlers(opts.usermod,halcomp,builder,opts.useropts)
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/bin/gladevcp", line 135, in load_handlers
    objlist = h(halcomp,builder,useropts)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/karl/linuxcnc/configs/wells-probe/nc_subroutines/psng/python/__init__.py", line 35, in get_handlers
    ProbeScreenZero(halcomp, builder, useropts),
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/karl/linuxcnc/configs/wells-probe/nc_subroutines/psng/python/zero.py", line 31, in __init__
    super(ProbeScreenZero, self).__init__(halcomp, builder, useropts)
  File "/home/karl/linuxcnc/configs/wells-probe/nc_subroutines/psng/python/base.py", line 65, in __init__
    self.command = linuxcnc.command()
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All of these have one error - the complete install instructions should be in README.md

I would recommend putting something like this on it:

# git clone target
# cd linuxcnc/configs/machine-name/
# ln -s ~/target/psng  ; the python directory should be a sub-directory of psng. 

This would allow simple  upgrading via git..

Move the install_add_to_your.ini and install_add_to_your.ini to README.md

Last edit: 14 Aug 2023 22:45 by lrak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vector

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2023 00:18 #278014 by Vector
Replied by Vector on topic Work with probe
Thanks so much Irak.

Wowza, you're so right about the confusion. It's amazing we're all making the progress we are with all these forks out there.

Indeed: for me it seems like the best candidates are these two:
(a) using various attachments you point to that begin on page 65 of this thread which were posted by mwidlok to update and fix errors one may find after installing github.com/verser-git/probe_screen_v2.8 .
(b) installing this new one: github.com/alkabal/PSNG_V3    and using my experience from page 68 of this thread:
(To recap, on 2.9.x, on Bookworm, to get PSNG_V3 to install, I believe the only changes needed are to insure python3-scipy is installed and to change the loadusr line in psng.hal to python3 in place of python.)

Which brings us to your errors, Irak....

...in my install, the file your error log shows as missing does exist: /usr/lib/linuxcnc/modules/dynamicZ.so 

So what is your version of LinuxCNC and of Linux?

Mine is: linuxcnc-uspace version = 2.9.0~pre1.1066.g8fd469d67
and Linux: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm), Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-11-rt-amd64

FYI, I installed both Linux and LinuxCNC on a clean machine via the default Debian repositories, then I upgraded to the current community distribution of LinuxCNC (not the one locked by Bookworm) by following the instructions Rod helped put together here: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...an_bookworm_x86_only

So, I think not only do we have troubles from a ton of different git-hub projects out there, but also a wide range of underlying install conditions.

(Irak, I *had* read your posts very carefully, but I had began trying the v2.8 install before ever posting and abandoned it because I found V3 that promised 2.9.x support... by the time you pointed to the mwidlok fixes, I was in the middle of the adventures documented on page 68 of this thread, which ended in what looks like success, so I never went back to V2.8)

*** Also note, I found something interesting: it seems to me that at least one difference between V2.8 and PSNG_V3 is that V3 has the Z_Eoffset_Compensation routine coded into the hal file.   

(I believe that's the 'warped surface' detection routine that would let you, say, engrave on a curved surface by having the system probe it at multiple points and make a Z-corrected mesh that modifies the z-height as a function of x-y as it processes the gcode... I think of that as kindof like auto-bed leveling in 3D printing, except you're cutting into the surface instead of building onto it.)

So if all one needs are the basics, then option (a) above (the V2.8) looks like it has more work going into it and therefore be easier to get working in any given condition.
However, it might not have as many features: it may be that V3 has pushed that envelope further.
It could be that this z-compensation is a 2.9 feature to start with, since that dynamicZ.so is missing for Irak.
On the other hand, that might not be true: since there's many ways to implement these features, so it could be that both versions do all the features, and the code is just in a different spot from where I found it on V3.

It might also be in the names: could be that the v2.8 is for, ahem, LinuxCNC 2.8x and the V3 is for, err, the LinuxCNC 2.9x?

I'll post back when I'm done testing my install of V3 (tho, I doubt I'll test all of the features: like rotate and this Z-corrected-mesh thingy).
Attachments:

More
15 Aug 2023 23:31 - 15 Aug 2023 23:36 #278096 by lrak
Replied by lrak on topic Work with probe
@Vector
From Debian bookworm's latest
linuxcnc-uspace              2.9.0~pre1+git20230208.f1270d6ed7-1

What mwidlok posted I would call probe_screen_v2.9

Not clear from what you wrote - Two questions:
Do you have this working?
Including toolchanges?

Last edit: 15 Aug 2023 23:36 by lrak.

More
16 Aug 2023 00:53 #278101 by Vector
@Irak
OK, so at least we're both on v 2.9.

Your question about what I have working: I am hoping to test tonight, including toolchanges. I only just installed my tool height sensor last night. I have verified my hal-pins are working as expected for that and the xyz probe, but other than that, I can only claim to have the screen running and it's telling me I have to finish setup before it will operate, which I take as a positive sign.

So I'm probably slower getting a "is it working" answer than you would be.

Are you interested in updating your linuxcnc-uspace using these instructions: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...an_bookworm_x86_only

... because it's weird that I have the dynamicZ.so object installed but you don't... I didn't do anything unusual like compile-it-all-myself.

(When I did that update procedure, the whole thing only took a few minutes and I haven't noticed any issues. )

This is indeed frustrating because while I have been a programmer for many years, I'm nonetheless too ignorant of this github/linuxcnc environment to be able to figure out where that dynamicZ.so source might be in the repository... I've searched github, and the copy I downloaded, to no avail. [ Try googling it and see what rock bands you find ;-) ]

I notice those procedures in the 'update linuxcnc link' (above) appear to include downloading linuxcnc-uspace-dev, but I presume that's because we might be compiling some items during this 'outside debian freeze' update, and it needs the -dev tools. I would not imagine that dynamicZ would be part of those. And moreover, (see ignorance at the beginning of this sentence) I don't see a separate repository for -dev... which I think means the -dev source should be inside the overall repository (which I tried to search) and the make scripts would pull either linux-uspace or linux-uspace-dev depending on how it's being made.

If anyone who knows where the source tree that's being updated via that link is, and how to find out why Irak is not getting dynamicZ.so, it would be helpful.

Thanks.

More
16 Aug 2023 02:28 #278107 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Work with probe
I am assuming you are both using the 2.9 getting linuxcnc docs to install Bookworm,
linuxcnc-uspace-dev is built at the same time as linuxcnc-uspace as documented in the building Linuxcnc chapter
it can be installed with: sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace-dev
It includes development tools that are not required to run linuxcnc
One of those tools is halcompile which is used to compile custom components.
I don't believe dynamicZ.so is part of Linuxcnc. If it was, the man page would be accessible from the  main docs page. It probably been created by halcompile from a source file likely called dynamicZ.comp with a command like:
sudo halcompile --install dynamicZ.comp
So instead of looking for the .so file, you would be better off looking for the .comp file (dynamicZ.comp). You must have got it from somewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vector

More
16 Aug 2023 03:35 #278111 by Vector
That's It!!! Thank you, thank you!

(Dang, Rod, you're amazing. Hope things are going well.)

@Irak, yes, the install instructions at PSNG_V3   are, erm, well... not a finished product. But at least he's documented it somewhere.

One has to crawl through every file and look right above a line or at the top of the file for the instructions to follow.

And I must've done it without remembering or documenting. Anyhow, Rod's right, I now remember I did run halcompile. 

Top of PSNG_V3/Your_Config_Folder/post-gui-dynamicZ.hal;   it says:
sudo halcompile --install /home/pi/configs/my_Lathe_and_Mill/dynamicZ.comp

@Irak, does that help?

And Rod is exactly right, there it is: dynamicZ.comp right there in that folder

(And being in the mod, of course, it couldn't be found even when searching for just dynamicZ in the linuxcnc files)

(And x2: searching all of github for dynamicZ.comp gives us.... wait for it... ANOTHER version of PSNG_V3 . Will wonders never cease!
But, that version is 2 commits behind the alkabal version, so I think Alkabal PSNG_V3 is still the one I'm working with. )

More
16 Aug 2023 07:46 #278133 by ikkuh
Replied by ikkuh on topic Work with probe

@Irak, yes, the install instructions at PSNG_V3  are, erm, well... not a finished product. But at least he's documented it somewhere.

Maybe I missed something here, but QTDragon_HD has all these components on-board. Is there a reason you are using stale github stuff?

More
16 Aug 2023 08:09 - 16 Aug 2023 08:10 #278137 by Vector
I tried to download the QTDragon that was from the repository, but it didn't yet support 5 axis.

I saw a post that they added that about a week ago, but when I tried to update using the update instructions , it still wouldn't run 5 axis... and since I had inertia going, I just kept going.

Has the QTDragon 5-axis capable version become one we can get pre-compiled?

(Thanks!)
Last edit: 16 Aug 2023 08:10 by Vector. Reason: Add link

More
16 Aug 2023 08:17 #278138 by rodw

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds