RPI4 Raspbian 64 bit & LinuxCNC

More
02 Apr 2023 18:15 #268095 by Stef
Hi everyone,

I am a new LinuxCNC user. Over the past weeks/months I read a lot about LinuxCNC, and tried it out on my Windows PC via a virtual machine (with no hardware attached). I really like the software and decided that I am going to use it in my CNC machine. As I don’t have a Linux computer I bought a  Raspberry Pi 4 GB.

It took me a while to get LinuxCNC running on the RPi. The dedicated ISO from the LinuxCNC downloads section didn’t work, but after some frustrations I eventually got it solved by using linuxcnc_book.img. The explanation from Elovalvo was helpful for me. Thank you very much for that! 

Unfortunately I soon ran into the next issue, as I have difficulties installing QtPyVCP.
I tried to install the software dependencies with the command listed at the bottom of this page:
www.qtpyvcp.com/install/prerequisites.html

This gave me a list of error messages as attached on the screenshot.
However I continued with installing QtPyVCP, which did not generate any strange messages, but in the end it did not work so I guess it has something to do with the software dependencies.

My background is that I have quite a lot of experience in Python scripting (including graphical user interfaces) and a bit of Windows PowerShell, but apart from some very basic usage I am not at all familiar with Linux.

Actually it makes me doubt whether or not I should proceed with the Raspberry Pi approach, as I got the feeling that this is not the easiest or most robust way of using LinuxCNC… The software made me very enthusiastic when I used it on a virtual machine (without any hardware attached). But since I got the RPi things don’t go as smoothly as I hoped, maybe the learning curve is too steep for someone without Linux experience?
I was planning to order a Mesa 7C81, but as this card is dedicated for RPi I am still somewhat hesitant about that.

Does someone perhaps recognise the QtPyVCP issue and knows how to solve it?
Looking forward to your replies!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2023 06:45 #268148 by elovalvo
From what I see I think it's a problem due to updating.
I recommend, before installing the software dependencies, to run these commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

More
03 Apr 2023 22:05 #268204 by Stef
Thank you for your input, this did indeed solve the issue.

More
05 Jun 2023 05:37 #272929 by MrRekt
Success!
After floundering on-and-off for years (no joke) trying to get a functioning install, this thread hands me a functional solution on a silver platter ! I've somehow always managed to find myself with some sort of hardware compatibly issues - this time, just as warned, the official SD image doesn't play nicely with my Pi4 8GB . But (!), as I've already said, the image supplied by elovalvo (on page 16) is showing more signs of life than anything I've managed to procure on my own:

I have a some ways to go to get it to work with my Mesa 7C81, but I needed to make an account to say THANK YOU to elovalvo ~
The following user(s) said Thank You: elovalvo, rodw

More
05 Jun 2023 07:32 - 19 Jun 2023 02:37 #272933 by rodw
There is also the Debian way. I'm hoping this will eventually be accepted into Linuxcnc docs
vmnet.com.au/linuxcnc/getting-linuxcnc.html

This is now superceded as its in the 2.9 documents now.
Please refer to this link instead. linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html
Last edit: 19 Jun 2023 02:37 by rodw.

More
10 Jun 2023 04:39 - 10 Jun 2023 08:55 #273254 by virencq
I have used your 2.9 version. Running successfully in lathe.
For further enhancement I have used your latest book.zip.
Running smoother than previous one.
But in gmocappy side and lower menu not showing.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jun 2023 08:55 by virencq. Reason: Forgot to add pictures
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
10 Jun 2023 12:02 #273267 by rodw
Thats more likely tto be a monitor size issue. Take it up in the Gmocappy section.

More
10 Jun 2023 16:29 #273275 by drummond
I currently have 2.8.4 running on an RPI4 with a 7C81, there's nothing wrong with that except this early version of raspbian doesn't run chromium except via a terminal with all kinds of "helpful suggestions" like "update your kernel" <lol>  Now I've got to choose the elovalvo way or the Debian way.

More
10 Jun 2023 21:42 #273296 by rodw

I currently have 2.8.4 running on an RPI4 with a 7C81, there's nothing wrong with that except this early version of raspbian doesn't run chromium except via a terminal with all kinds of "helpful suggestions" like "update your kernel" <lol>  Now I've got to choose the elovalvo way or the Debian way.

Annoyingly Chrome is not supported on any ARM hardware. This may install an open source version for you
sudo apt update
sudo apt install chromium-browser -y

I'm not sure if this picks up your Google profile and al your bookmarks etc.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds