ESAB Ultrarex UXD-P 2500 retrofit with Linuxcnc and Proma THC

More
11 Feb 2020 17:52 #157086 by alexandrub
Ok, i agree the easy solution. I work now to mount the stepper instead the dc motor. I want to buy a thc controler. What to chose? Proma or mesa? In my opinion proma seems to be more friendly but i dont know what to chose...THC150 or THC SD?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2020 18:14 #157087 by tommylight

More
11 Feb 2020 21:44 #157099 by rodw

Ok, i agree the easy solution. I work now to mount the stepper instead the dc motor. I want to buy a thc controler. What to chose? Proma or mesa?

If you are using mesa hardware to control your X & Y servos and you have an unused encoder input, the $69 THCAD-10 combined with LinuxCNC's Plasmac config is really a no brainer. Linuxcnc becomes the THC and you have complete integration with the motion controller so you will have superior torch height control.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Feb 2020 08:53 - 12 Feb 2020 08:56 #157142 by alexandrub
anybody know where to buy this thc in Europe, preffered on stock, not to wait 1 month ? I buy until now from cncmonster from austria but the delivery time was 2 months.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2020 08:56 by alexandrub. Reason: I forgot a question

More
12 Feb 2020 10:12 #157149 by tommylight
Proma has an ebay shop.
THCAD you can buy from eusurplus.com in Portugal.
I bought a lot from them, they are very fast at delivering stuff.

More
13 Feb 2020 19:13 #157305 by alexandrub
Thank you! i ordered an thcad 10 from eusurplus. They shipped already. I attach 2 photo with the new z axis stepper.

It is a problem if i post in this thread?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 Feb 2020 19:24 #157307 by tommylight
Nice !
You can post on this thread as it is a similar machine, so all the info can be found in one place for whoever might need it.

More
15 Feb 2020 15:08 #157445 by alex.statie
A few questions on this machine:

1. What does the motor clutch do? It seems it has no effect whether it’s connected or not except a led/relay on the power distribution board.

Tommylight, did you leave the clutch unconnected in your build? I saw you did not mention it in the previous posts.

2. Is the Servo logic +-10v or rather +-5v? We’ve tested with +-5 to be on the safe side and the motors have an impressive speed.

3. How are you positioning the cutting head initially? Did you retrofit a microswitch or induction?

4. Are the endpoints achieved with the induction sensors present on the axis? We failed to find any microswitches.

Thanks in advance!!

More
15 Feb 2020 15:28 #157451 by tommylight
There is no clutch on the machine i retrofitted, so i do not know. Can you give us some info or pictures of it ?
Yes the servo is +-10V, but 5V will give you more than enough speed. At 10V it will do 28m/m and watching the gantry move at that speed is scary !
Yes i did make a torch holder with an induction switch for probing, it is also used to trigger the E-stop if the torch hits the material.
Yes, the induction switches are used for homing and limits. There is also a mechanical switch (a big microswitch) on the left under side of the gantry, it is used as extreme limit switch and it will cut the power to the motor drives if it is triggered. All machines that use DC brushed servo motors should have those on each axis to prevent runaway in case of drive failure .

More
15 Feb 2020 15:52 - 15 Feb 2020 16:15 #157456 by alexandrub
We work together to retrofit this machine :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Feb 2020 16:15 by alexandrub. Reason: I forgot a question

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds