1982 Matsuura MC-500v Retrofit

More
11 Mar 2017 04:54 #89403 by chopper79
Time to test fit the sensors and make any modifications to the sensor mount that need to be done. Then it is off to print the final one.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2017 05:57 - 11 Mar 2017 05:59 #89405 by chopper79
Wanted to put a quick video on here so anybody following this build can see what/how the gear and sensors were going to be used. Hope this video helps anybody who was or is not totally sure about the process or was not clear with what all my pictures and talk was about.



Sorry for the poor video skills. Never claimed to be a cinematographer....haha
Last edit: 11 Mar 2017 05:59 by chopper79.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Muzzer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2017 10:07 #89410 by johnmc1
Most impressed with your effort.
Regards john
The following user(s) said Thank You: chopper79

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2017 14:29 #89417 by chopper79
Thank you .... I am trying to give as much information as possible, this goes for my failures and success of this project. I really hope that this information will come in handy for someone in the future. At the end of the build I will be posting all the additional information that I have on the project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snoozer77

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2017 14:35 - 11 Mar 2017 15:37 #89418 by chopper79
As promised here is the images of the sensor mount after completion. The sensors fit perfect in their slots. On the one on the right side of mount has an elongated slot so I can adjust the spacing when dialing in the sensors.

I am hoping tonight I can mount this all to the mill.





I need a better camera.
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Mar 2017 15:37 by chopper79.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2017 19:27 #89542 by chopper79
Making a little progress today and a bit of an issue......

Sensor mount is installed


Gear is mounted



Broke the leads off my gear tooth sensor...... stupid me. So I used an Xacto to scrape a small amount of the case away so I could solder the leads back on and then epoxy them in place so they do not move. I would just replace it as they are only $8.00 but include shipping and the 5 day wait makes the price go up. I may have to yet so I am using this one on the index so I can replace it quickly.




More to come soon unless I break something else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2017 05:15 #89570 by chopper79
When using this type of gear sensor be careful of the legs on the sensor. They are very fragile and will break off very easy. If you have not so delicate hands like myself then order a couple extra just in case. Broke legs off all 3 sensors I purchased so I ordered a 10 pack this time.

Half tempted to just order a quadrature gear sensor in a housing. Only $45 for one of those, but I will need to make a new gear or something as the depth of the teeth are not setup for this type of sensor.

Hope to see them in the next couple days and another delay. I guess that is the learning process.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2017 16:15 - 31 Mar 2017 16:52 #90656 by chopper79
I have not posted in a bit since I was waiting for a new sensor I wanted to try out for the spindle encoder. I also am trying a different gear just to rule out my DIY gear.

Here is the new gear I am using. It is an 80 tooth gear form a lathe. It is made form cast iron so we shall see how it works. Also boring out the center to fit a locating ring.




Here is the new sensor I am going to try. It is a quadrature gear tooth sensor that is made by Honeywell. It is a zero speed sensor just like the Allegro sensors in the previous post. The biggest advantages of this one is that it is a single house, and the quadrature setting is all done at factory. It cost $45.00 compared to the single sensors of $8.00 each (x3 = $24). It is a little bit more but for a more robust package that is easier to set up and calibrated at the factory. I am fine with that expense.

Here is the data sheet: THE DATA SHEET



I will post up some more as I make a mount for the sensor and get everything functioning.
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Mar 2017 16:52 by chopper79.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2017 22:37 #91729 by chopper79
Got the spindle encoder finished. Also got the spindle synchronized with motion. Started flushing out the ball nuts and ways to get all the old junk (if any) out of them. Next on the list is to clean up the mill and work on the control panel.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2017 23:17 #91732 by tommylight
I see some tapping in the near future ! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.731 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum