New install of Mesa 7i92 on TCL lathe

More
15 Apr 2022 09:30 #240298 by ALittleOffTheRails
No special Magic for the 7i92 cards. They work.
Biggest issue is people not understanding basic Network config nor willing to have a basic understanding.
Some distros may show no network connection until the 7i92 is connected via a cable to the computer. Which could be confusing to Young Players.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2022 10:04 #240299 by robertspark
once you get the 7i92 seen by linux following test pinging it.

you will need to flash the firmware to the 7i92 for your 5 axis bob (there is a firmware *.bin file in the folder I linked to on the mesa website for the cheapo bob)

How do you intent to link the encoder back to the mesa 7i92? (do you have a planned pins and ports config sheet, is the encoder single ended or differential?)

I ask because I have a denford orac I've converted to linuxcnc with a servo spindle and a 40 position quick change tool changer (multifix AA).

More
15 Apr 2022 10:17 - 15 Apr 2022 10:37 #240301 by john11668
Thank you for that  Alittleofftherails  Not sure how to take it though. There seems to be veiled criticism of my inexperience.
I came to this project after successfully converting a mill to operate on mach 3 and UCCNC as a retirement / lockdown project . Prior to this I had no CNC experience.
Having managed that I moved to a lathe and was guided to go the linux route which has proved to be challenging as you can see above (only part of the story) .

Whilst I would willingly submit to a course which might give me that basic understanding if only I could find one . Unfortunately I have not been able to find one
Last edit: 15 Apr 2022 10:37 by john11668.

More
15 Apr 2022 10:35 - 15 Apr 2022 10:39 #240308 by john11668
Thanks for that Robert .
Today I will follow the earlier instructions above and try to get communication between PC and Mesa.
Then I will look into flashing the firmware (although I seem to remember that the instructions in the manual did not come over (to me ) as clear .
I did download the file set, but there seem to be a bewildering range of bit and pin files to choose from and it is not always clear which one(s) might be most suitable for the application ( suggestion would be welcomed )

I havent yet thought about the encoder connections, and your descriptions of single ended or differential are not familiar to me either. With the DC motor I had an encoder disc, with led switches and used 3 pins ,A, B, and Z.

I am going one step at a time at the moment so when I get communication, I would value suggestions with regard to suitable firmware and maybe some clarification on procedure.
Maybe make that episode 2 and start a new topic for next step
Last edit: 15 Apr 2022 10:39 by john11668.

More
15 Apr 2022 11:23 - 15 Apr 2022 11:25 #240310 by robertspark
I'd just suggest keep going here as it can be built on as your build thread to sort out any issues.

The mesa firmware is all contained within this folder:
www.mesanet.com/software/parallel/7i92.zip

I won't post the firmware here as it's always best to just download the latest firmware folder from the Mesa site in case something changes or is updated

open up the zipped folder and navigate to (easiest to do it on a windows machine.... or you will be using the terminal to open the zipped file which unless you get used to linux and the terminal will be slower in my opinion):
7i92.zip\7i92\configs\hostmot2

If you look at the *.pin files with a text editor (such as notepad or notepad++) then it will show you the pin configurations for each of the ports at the bottom of the document.

Basically you have a few choices and options for the 5 axis chinese BOB.

I would suggest that you look at the 7i92_5ABOBx2D.pin file and you want to install the 7i92_5ABOBx2D.pin file as it will provide you with:
PWM on Pin 1 (don't think you will need it)
Step and Dir on pins 2,3,4,5,6,7,8.9
Input on pin 10,
Pin 11 as Encoder A
Pin 12 as Encoder B
Pin 13 as Encoder Index
Pin 14 as general Output
Pin 15 as general INPUT
pin 16 and 17 as the 5th Axis for the 5 axis card / Bob.

It does not matter if you plug the bob into P1 or P1 on the 7i92 as long as you set up the config correctly in the PNCCONF to use the right ports and pins for your needs.

warp9td.com/images/BOB_Vendors/StepperOnline/ST-V2.pdf

IF your encoder only has 1 wire for A, 1 wire for B and 1 wire for the Index (I) it will be a single ended encoder.... just wire up to the pins 11, 12 and 13 as listed above.  (if it had 2 wires for each output it would be a differential encoder)

Last edit: 15 Apr 2022 11:25 by robertspark.

More
15 Apr 2022 11:24 #240311 by ALittleOffTheRails
First things first.

Decide what Input & Output you need. Would you be requiring the same setup as you used for your Parallel Port Conversion ?

An example might be the following:
X & Z axis, Spindle Out, Spindle Encoder, Limit Switches, Home Switches, Manual Pulse Generator (one for each axis or one shared via a switch)

Or you just may want to use the 7I92 to have the same pins as 2 Parallel Ports. Which would more or less allow you to plug in any existing Breakout Boards without any changes to the wiring.

Once you have a list of the required I\O a suitable firmware can be suggested.

With regards to Differential or Single Ended encoders, Basically a Differential or Single Ended encoder can be used with an input that can operate with a Single Ended one.

Quick explanation here:
www.dynapar.com/faq/what-is-the-differen...differential-signals

Debian Network Setup:
wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

Most users are willing to help if you are willing to put a little effort in. Saying it's too hard and throwing your hands up in the air is not the way to go. Age is no barrier to learning, listening to normies that say "Liniux is too hard" is a barrier. And be aware that most say "Linux is too hard" would have trouble doing some of the tasks that simple under Linux on Windows. And no, "Being a programmer" is not a prerequisite to using Linux.
Is anyone born knowing how to use Windows ? No, they have to learn.
Were you born knowing how to use a lathe ? No you had to learn that.
Were you born knowing how to use CAD or CAM ? No you had to learn.

More
15 Apr 2022 16:41 #240323 by john11668

Most users are willing to help if you are willing to put a little effort in. Saying it's too hard and throwing your hands up in the air is not the way to go. Age is no barrier to learning, listening to normies that say "Liniux is too hard" is a barrier. And be aware that most say "Linux is too hard" would have trouble doing some of the tasks that simple under Linux on Windows. And no, "Being a programmer" is not a prerequisite to using Linux.
Is anyone born knowing how to use Windows ? No, they have to learn.
Were you born knowing how to use a lathe ? No you had to learn that.
Were you born knowing how to use CAD or CAM ? No you had to learn.

Many years ago I was shown a  bunch of characters , a,b,c,d,e,  etc   and  I learned to use them to make words  which have been useful throughout my life, and have served me well.  I now know some big words like "condescending" and  "patronising"
You are right that many users are helpful and constructive  and most do not feel obliged to add the above type of comments to their contributions .
When I see such it turns me off, so that I place far less value on the the rest of the post .  If you are unable to refrain then dont  bother posting as i may not even bother to read it. 

More
15 Apr 2022 17:04 #240324 by john11668
Right so update :-
I discovered had included a misprint in the file so it was not being recognised .
That corrected I find that I now have communication and ping 192.168.1.121 is successful. Thanks to those who have guided me through this .
I still have a problem though in that I am now unable to connect this machine to the internet at all . I know I cant connect to both simultaneously, but even disconnecting the mesa and replacing with ethernet cable from my router I am just getting an error message from firefox ,
Is this a normal result of changing the ip on the host machine ??

It is quite a problem if i cant download stuff

More
15 Apr 2022 17:13 #240327 by Clive S

Right so update :-
I discovered had included a misprint in the file so it was not being recognised .
That corrected I find that I now have communication and ping 192.168.1.121 is successful. Thanks to those who have guided me through this .
I still have a problem though in that I am now unable to connect this machine to the internet at all . I know I cant connect to both simultaneously, but even disconnecting the mesa and replacing with ethernet cable from my router I am just getting an error message from firefox ,
Is this a normal result of changing the ip on the host machine ??

It is quite a problem if i cant download stuff

John you can get a usb wifi dongle for about £3
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194091194225?epid=188...1:g:fN0AAOSwUldg7Au4

Then you can set up another connection for it.

I did reply to your PM

More
15 Apr 2022 17:15 #240328 by robertspark
get a cheap usb WiFi dongle for internet connection. the ethernet is much more important for dedicated regular CNC communication
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds