Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
25 Sep 2015 20:44 #62979 by cmorley
The latest is included with 2.7 - not much has changed other then better support for themes
There has been at least one other screen made outside of linuxcnc for a plasma machine but there are no files to share.

When your screen is finished, if it has fairly broad appeal maybe we could include it?

I have a lathe screen in the works but it will require master to work.

I will help you as much as I can to get your screen to work.

Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: csbrady

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2015 21:14 #62987 by LAIR82

Chris M

????????????

Rick

More
25 Sep 2015 21:55 #62989 by csbrady
Thanks Chris. My customized screen will be targeted for a Bridgeport Interact with a touch screen so the appeal will be narrow. But I will be happy to make it to anyone that may be interested.

I figured out the hard way how custom python handlers work last night. I think I at last understand the process, now the actual work begins.

There are a number of buttons that I would like to remove. To do that the references in gscreen need to be overridden. It ends up being messy to do overrides so I am planning to leave the buttons in, but not make them visible. Am I on the right track?

More
26 Sep 2015 03:31 #63005 by cmorley

Chris M

????????????

Rick

I have been building a new screen specifically for lathes and it uses feature that only master will have.
Time will tell if it's any good :)

Chris M

More
26 Sep 2015 03:33 #63006 by cmorley

There are a number of buttons that I would like to remove. To do that the references in gscreen need to be overridden. It ends up being messy to do overrides so I am planning to leave the buttons in, but not make them visible. Am I on the right track?

Yes making widgets not visible is an easy way to customise the screen.
Which 'skin' are you basing it on?

Chris M

More
26 Sep 2015 06:40 #63013 by csbrady
I am working from the default skin, does it have a name? Essentially I am creating a new skin. Mostly I want to simplify by removing all of the buttons that I will not be using. For example I will have external start, stop, estop and power buttons (the machine originals) so those should be removed from the GUI. Also for homing I just want a single button to home the machine. I'll post a screen shot when I get it working.

More
27 Sep 2015 22:57 #63068 by cmorley
I call it the default screen - I should have named them better :)

gaxis is a less buttonny screen to start from.

i really do need to add more docs for gscreen...

looking forward to your creation

Chris M

More
28 Sep 2015 19:28 #63136 by LAIR82

I have been building a new screen specifically for lathes and it uses feature that only master will have.
Time will tell if it's any good :)

Chris M

I'm sure you know, we're always up for a party ;)

RIck

More
29 Sep 2015 06:18 #63169 by csbrady
Here are screen shots for my new gscreen skin.
Here are the criteria I came up with for the project:
1) Only show buttons that will get used for my implementation
2) All of the buttons needed for a particular mode are displayed, no paging through buttons.
3) All of the buttons are big enough to work well with a touch screen. They are a little small, but big enough for my 15" screen.

On power up the the Mode button is the Home button and it switches to Mode as soon when the machine is homed. I added jog + & - 0.1 buttons to make it easy to subtract / add the 0.1" offset from a 0.2" edge finder. It's really nice to be able to customize the interface for the way I work. :)

Most of the buttons work and I just need to work out how to tie this into HAL. Still learning ...
Attachments:

More
29 Sep 2015 07:07 #63171 by cmorley
hey that looks user friendly!

The gscreen samples all suffer from being development driven and not use driven.
I experimented with all kinds of methodologies, so I can see right away your screen is narrowed to what is needed, rather then a bunch of choices.

you got a name for it :)

Chris M

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds