Ethercat Installation on Debian 10 (from 2.8.2 PREEMT Buster Iso)

More
20 Oct 2021 12:22 #223660 by Schaumstofffräsnewbie
Hello everyone, 
I am trying to get the communication in my milling machine working.
The network is built in a ring topology, and the components are: 1x IPC Siemens 227e, and 4x FESTO Servo drives plus 1 additional Weidmüller I/O module. (I can give more detailed Information if needed, maybe the hardware is part of my problem).

But my main problem is:
I install LinuxCNC with the 2.8.2 PPEEMT Buster iso. After installation, I did the following steps:
$sudo apt-get upgrade -y
$sudo apt-get install git
$sudo apt-get install build-essential
$sudo apt-get install pkg-config
$sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
$git clone gitlab.com/etherlab.org/ethercat.git
cd ethercat
./bootstrap
./configure --disable-8139too --enable-generic
make all modules
sudo su
make modules_install install
depmod

I found these steps in many different guides to install an EtherCAT driver, but there are so many different guides on this topic on many different pages in the forum and other pages, and everyone that asked questions about this topic had a different problem than me.
I have to admit that I am pretty confused, because I don´t even get a real error message, but it also seems like EtherCAT doesn´t really do anything at all.
I also don´t really know where to start with some kind of error detection or troubleshooting, since I kind of inherited this project from another trainee that did the mechanical and electrical construction, and after he couldn´t finish the project before he left the company, I was tasked with getting the machine running with LinuxCNC because it´s free. Unfortunately I never worked with linux as an OS before.

I look forward for some answers and some guidance, no matter if you answer in english or german.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2021 13:45 - 20 Oct 2021 14:07 #223672 by db1981
Hello,

of course you can build the etherlabmaster by your own.
But i would guess to use the method that is prefered by the linuxcnc-ethercat hal driver.

If you want to follow your way, next step would be to manual copy the config skripts to the proper locations, config etherlabmaster as an service, and run the start scripts. This is written down in detail in the ethercat master docs at etherlab.

The other way would be to use the ec-debianze method to install the etherlab master, there would be certain patches installed which make the life a lot easier for working with linuxcnc...

github.com/sittner/ec-debianize

before using the get_source scripts you have to install the packages mercurial and quilt.After this you have to add the mq extensions to your mercurial config file. this is explained here www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/MqExtension   .

Of course this is an older version of etherlab, but we know that it will work with the hal driver.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2021 14:07 by db1981. Reason: forgot quilt and mq extensions
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schaumstofffräsnewbie

More
21 Oct 2021 06:52 #223784 by Schaumstofffräsnewbie
Thank you!

Could you please explain the ec-debianize way a little more detailed? Must I still do some of my mentioned steps like cloning the ethercat.git and do the ./bootstrap and ./configure stuff?

More
21 Oct 2021 07:39 #223791 by db1981
no, ec-debianize is an install script an does this stuff for you.

you have to do the following:

-sudo apt install mercurial quilt
-git clone github.com/sittner/ec-debianize.git (your folder name)

Then you have to locate your mercurial config file and enable the mq extensions.
www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/MqExtension

and last follow the steps in the readme from ec-debianize

More
21 Oct 2021 10:53 #223807 by Schaumstofffräsnewbie
okay, but what shall I insert after ./get_source.sh ? I´m a bit lost with all these commands ..

Attachments:

More
21 Oct 2021 14:31 - 21 Oct 2021 14:34 #223817 by db1981
??

after cloning go to the ec-debianize folder.

- ./get_source.sh is the full line (das in den Klammern is nur ne beschreibung vom Sittner, was dann passiert)

-if the scripts runs without errors (while installation there should be longer list with patches that get applied) -> cd etherlabmaster

-next: dpkg-checkbuilddeps     (if hothing happens, everything is ok....)
-next: dpkg-buildpackage  (should run without errors)

Last edit: 21 Oct 2021 14:34 by db1981.

More
22 Oct 2021 05:28 #223877 by Schaumstofffräsnewbie
Okay, I try this now. If i get an error or somthing happent what I don´t understand, I post screenshots of them in this thread.

More
22 Oct 2021 08:56 #223891 by Schaumstofffräsnewbie
As soon as I execute the command line ./get_source.sh I get the Error message from the atached screenshot
Attachments:

More
22 Oct 2021 09:17 #223892 by db1981
bitte mal ohne sudo probieren, ich checke das gleich nochmal

More
22 Oct 2021 09:33 #223893 by Schaumstofffräsnewbie
Habs einmal mit und ohne probiert, beides mit gleichem Fehler. Hab erst gedacht, dass es am vorhergehenden Versuch mit dem Buildversuch vom Master liegt, aber hab es nochmal mit ner neuen OS-Installation probiert. Allerdings hatte er mir, als ich gestern den Beitrag hochgeladen hatte, lediglich eine liste an zusätzlichen Argumenten / Befehlen wie --help usw angezeigt. Hat einen Error ausgespuckt im Zusammenhang mit "dpkg-parsechangelog" . Hat in der Zeile 3 quasi schon nicht mehr weiter gemacht mit dem Skript.. Warum ich den Fehler von gestern nicht reproduzieren kann weiß ich auch nicht. Habe exakt die gleichen Zeilen in der gleichen Reihenfolge wie gestern eingegeben...

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds