Another plasma component...

More
10 Aug 2019 08:55 #141856 by thefabricator03

That is a great feeling to have.

For me that feeling is even better when you have hand build the physical machine from scratch.

In my case my guys who have watch my machine go from raw steel to a finished product, Then not quite working correctly with the CandCNC controller to now it working from the time they come in in the morning until they leave at the end of the day, they have a new level of respect for what can be done by a single person. It is very satisfying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2019 08:58 #141857 by tommylight

That is a great feeling to have.

For me that feeling is even better when you have hand build the physical machine from scratch.

In my case my guys who have watch my machine go from raw steel to a finished product, Then not quite working correctly with the CandCNC controller to now it working from the time they come in in the morning until they leave at the end of the day, they have a new level of respect for what can be done by a single person. It is very satisfying.

Welcome to the club ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
10 Aug 2019 14:00 #141863 by tommylight
As some of you might have noticed, i added links to this topic and the documents for PlasmaC to the :

forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...hc-config-that-works

And

forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/34978-th...-configs-with-how-to

Given the huge list of capabilities implemented in this config/component/software by PhillC with the relentless help of other forum members, it is time for the old configs to be honorably discharged.
They served us well ( they still do as i have not switched client machines to this, yet ), proved that Linuxcnc can do Plasma pretty damn well and very reliably, and now with PlasmaC proven again that it can put to shame many comercial solutions with 70 Euro for Mesa THCAD ( thank you, PCW ) and a bit of tweaking.
Thank you, all.
With utmost respect,
Tom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, Clive S, rodw, thefabricator03

More
11 Aug 2019 00:26 #141885 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
Tommy, its hard to make the switch but eventually you have no option other than to go with the Plasmac Juggernaut. I know when when I made the switch it was hard to give up the hundreds of hours of effort I had put in but really with open source, that effort is not lost as it serves as inspiration for bigger and better things like Plasmac!
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, Clive S, thefabricator03

More
12 Aug 2019 08:55 #141954 by thefabricator03
Phill,

What is the easiest way to change PlasmaC configs?

I need to change from the synthetic arc ok signal to a real signal, My loan plasma has turned up and I need to swap the setup over.

More
12 Aug 2019 10:55 #141961 by phillc54
If you set it up with the configurator you can edit your ini file to change the mode to 1 and edit your plasmac_connections.hal to connect your arc ok signal to the appropriate HAL pin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
14 Aug 2019 07:07 #142109 by phillc54
I have pushed an update:

• Fix program end bug in GCode parser.
  • Set defaults for optional variables in the materialverter.
  • Add the ability for the configurator to modify Operating Mode, HAL pins and Run Panel position of a working configuration.
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S, thefabricator03

More
    14 Aug 2019 23:25 #142171 by Dee436
    Replied by Dee436 on topic Another plasma component...
    I am currently on a run in place version of plasmac from around May which uses v2.8. The machine is working and cutting ok but I am thinking I should really bring it up to date, I have had a couple of instances where the paused motion would have been useful. I really don’t want to break anything though so have a couple of questions.

If I do a git pull upgrade to get the latest version;
    Am I likely to encounter any problems with such a large jump in versions?
    Will I need to run the configurator, the manual says not usually which suggests sometime you may need to?
    Will I need to alter the directory structure as I seem to recall it changed at some point?
    I assume after running the upgrade I will be on v2.9 master and have the paused motion available?

If there is any chance of messing up my working table I will wait until I know I have time to sort it out, on the other hand if it is going to be a non issue I will go ahead and get up to date

More
    15 Aug 2019 00:01 #142173 by phillc54
    If you used the configurator to do your original installation then it "should" be safe to pull the latest and then run configurator to upgrade your config.
    Another option if you originally used the configurator would be to pull the latest and create a new config with the configurator using the backup ini and Hal files in your existing config that were created by the configurator.
    You will need to run make after pulling the latest version.
    Don't forget to make a backup of your existing config before attempting an update.

More
    15 Aug 2019 00:23 #142175 by rodw
    Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
    Dee
    I upgraded my 2.9 config the other day. It sounds like you installed from Phill's repository which no longer exists. If so, I would install into another folder linuxcnc-dev and install into there from scratch as per
    linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html

Just make sure you run the correct rip-environmment script and it should all work the same.

Moderators: snowgoer540
    Time to create page: 0.307 seconds