Another plasma component...

More
17 Aug 2019 02:16 #142363 by thefabricator03

Guys

My guess is that because of all the metal you must get up to burning temp on thick material a not insignificant pierce delay is still going to be required when starting from a pre pierced hole. This is just a WAG because I just cut material 1/10th as thick.

John

Just thinking it through and I do agree with that statement, Cutting 25mm plate can be a mission, Last time I cut some I melted my earth clamp! it was getting old and corroded. I will do some testing this week and see what happens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2019 03:23 #142365 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
A couple of things. As John says a delay will still be required. Be guided on what they say for edge starts. I think the same pierce delay applies for them.

Phil, re piercing and cutting in Sheetcam, it is possible to add multiple operations in the one file. So you could set up one operation with a pierce only tool, then set up another operation with a normal cut tool. Normally you move stuff onto different layers or something but I just tried a simulation in sheetcam and its possible to cut back over the same layer.

So if you look at the POST of mine, there is a centerpunch tool which generates different code to spot holes on a holes layer, so maybe you could have a custom tool called "pierce only 16mm".

More
17 Aug 2019 03:47 #142366 by thefabricator03
I would really prefer not to have two different g-code files, Having the ability to turn the function on and off within the controller would be the cleanest solution in my opinion.

Also with sheetcam, Keeping everything as easy as possible is something we should strive to achieve, At the moment it is difficult enough to create a g-code file for someone not computer savy, I would say near impossible for some of my guys. Setting things like code snippets and rules only for certain things is not very user friendly. In the future I want to be able to set these things very easily, Not sure how I am going to do it but I will find a way.

More
17 Aug 2019 04:40 #142367 by thefabricator03
Also with increasing life of consumables,

With my experiece with Powermax consumables on thick plate, 16,20,25 - You will only get around one and a half 3000x1500 sheets out of one nozzle and about three sheets to a electrode.

I dont think that limiting the delay would be a significant factor in prolonging the life of the consumable.

I will do some testing this week and report back with my findings.

More
17 Aug 2019 04:58 - 17 Aug 2019 05:05 #142368 by phillc54

Phil, re piercing and cutting in Sheetcam, it is possible to add multiple operations in the one file. So you could set up one operation with a pierce only tool, then set up another operation with a normal cut tool. Normally you move stuff onto different layers or something but I just tried a simulation in sheetcam and its possible to cut back over the same layer.

I have been having a bit of a play with SheetCam and it is not too bad, I have a reasonable post going at the moment but not being able to give operations a sensible name seems odd to me when you have multiple operations. Also when doing overcut on holes it is not easy to get the correct velocity changes as you need to include arcs. Then you need to add a velocity change to the end. The rules seem to have odd behaviours at times.

I also like Stefan's idea as it sits well with my ideal of not tying PlasmaC to any other software or hardware. Doing it that way will not stop anyone doing their own thing in their posts but will allow anyone to take advantage of the feature. I may be able to expand it to do spotting as well.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2019 05:05 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
17 Aug 2019 06:17 #142370 by rodw
For normal plasma operations, with sheetcam, you would only have 2 operations, one to spot holes and one to do the plasma cutting. Additional layers would normally only be for engraving or if you had a drill on the gantry. And yes, I agree the rules are really a kludge for those controllers which can't do cornerlocks and kerf crossing etc. Its not something plasmac needs to worry about.

More
18 Aug 2019 07:06 - 18 Aug 2019 07:28 #142419 by phillc54
An update has been pushed:
  • fix material file read error
  • fix config file initializing errors
  • add air-scribe
The air-scribe is a major update, RIP installations will require make to be run after the git pull.
To add the air-scribe feature to an existing config you will need to run the configurator and do an Upgrade.
Documentation is here .

Edit: I was going to say that it is probably a good idea to backup your existing config before upgrading but you already do that don't you...
Last edit: 18 Aug 2019 07:28 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S

More
18 Aug 2019 08:37 #142421 by rodw
Geez, how am I ever going to finish my table when you keep adding features it needs to support?

In the docs, does is the word torch below a typo? I thought we were engraving....

There are two HAL pins used to operate the air-scribe, one to arm the air-scribe then after a delay the other to start the torch.

I have to say Andy's multispindle feature makes the code really clean to support multiple tools.... You do know that Grotius once posted a photo of a machine with a drill mounted on the gantry?

Can you explain what arming does. Is that to do with the tool changer?

More
18 Aug 2019 09:14 #142424 by phillc54
Looks like it's time to sack the proof reader.

In my mind arming is the action of getting the air-scribe down to the material. Is there a standard term I should have used.

More
18 Aug 2019 11:19 #142429 by tommylight
I also did a retrofit on a plasma that had an air powered drill, it had manual controls and electronics, single output would turn the air on, drill would start turning and moving down. That delay to get to the material from 12cm above was enough for it to get up to speed. Not powerfull enough but very usable for holes up to 5mm.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds