My Newb Plasma Table Attempted Build

More
02 Jun 2020 00:31 #169747 by tommylight
Was that slope programmed or the machine did that on it's own?
Are you by any chance getting the latency error when starting LinuxCNC ?
When the drives are powered and enabled, how easy it is to turn the motors shaft by hand ?
What drives and what microstepping ?
If that slope was not programmed, one axis is binding, so if you can, remove the belts and move the axis by hand slowly while feeling for any bumps or binding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2020 00:49 #169751 by dvn4life1972
No latency error on Linuxcnc. The slope was not programmed, it's supposed to be a 3" x 3" square (using the extras feature in plasmac). When the drives are powered, there is no moving anything by hand...they're pretty beefy 560oz 5A motors (I have them at 3.? amps on the drivers). The drivers are Kelling 5056.

I think the binding is because the gantry is out of square on the Y axis rails. I just readjusted the proximity sensors and I'm about to re-home it and see what happens.

More
02 Jun 2020 01:25 #169757 by dvn4life1972
Well, I now have the Y axis side down to within. 003" of each other at home position. Repeats identically (measured with my Starrett calipers) every time. Made a 2nd cut of a square using the same feature in plasmac (I'm not saying it's plasmac) and there's still a little ramp, only now about half the size as the first one. All of the sides measure square on the cut. I was so sure the gantry was binding due to being out of square and now I have no idea.

There is a little bit of some choppy edge marks when it goes into X axis movement during the cut, regardless of direction but it clears up the same on either motion too so I figure that's probably the Z having a little bounce on direction changes. Right now though I need to get all the lines to connect properly.
Attachments:

More
02 Jun 2020 01:41 #169761 by tommylight
Is the torch being dragged on the material ?
There are drag marks all around the part.
The torch should be at least 1mm above the material while cutting.
Raise the cut voltage till you see an arc that looks like 5mm with bare eyes, see if you get those marks and that slope. You should disable auto volts when testing this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

More
02 Jun 2020 01:49 - 02 Jun 2020 01:59 #169762 by dvn4life1972
No the torch is definitely not being dragged at all. It's weird because it never did this before I changed to the finecut consumables. My cut height is actually higher than with regular 60A consumables I was running before.

I think it's running with autovolts enabled, but the plasma doesn't have that setup so...

Edit: I see autovolts isn't a connection to the plasma machine now (duh)
Last edit: 02 Jun 2020 01:59 by dvn4life1972.

More
02 Jun 2020 04:25 - 02 Jun 2020 04:27 #169766 by phillc54
Hard to tell from the pics but are any of the corners of the "square" actually square?

Is the notch on the X axis or the Y axis?

Can you post the code you cut with, it looks ok when I do it here but...

EDIT: To me it looks like your X and Y axes are not perpendicular.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2020 04:27 by phillc54.

More
02 Jun 2020 04:36 #169767 by dvn4life1972
I already shut it down, and I used the extras tab in plasmac to generate the code for the square. I'm pretty sure it isn't plasmac causing the issue. The Y axis cuts seem to be perfect, the X axis cuts are ok on the far end and it's the closer end of the X that has that step. As I was locking the shop I grabbed the torch and noticed there is a lot of wiggle that wasn't there before. Tommy's input lead me to check for the play before I walked out for the night.

The play (that wasn't previously there) is on the float setup, not the main Z...may be some tightening needed on the eccentric nuts. I think I'm gonna order some regular linear rail for the float at least, those won't develop that play.

I did take both of the squares and check them with a framing square and they are square, it's probably the cell phone camera angle making the photos look off.

More
02 Jun 2020 04:43 #169768 by phillc54
OK, it looked to me that the step was on he X axis where the leadin/leadout is.

More
02 Jun 2020 04:46 #169769 by dvn4life1972
Yes that's exactly where it is. That side is uneven, but the opposite end on the X is fine. It's just when it returns to that first X axis to finish that it's a little bit short of the mark

More
02 Jun 2020 13:11 #169800 by PCW
Can you post your current hal and ini files?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds