"Origami" CNC Plasma Build - folding 1200 x 600mm cut area

More
09 Nov 2023 23:07 - 09 Nov 2023 23:18 #284989 by Joco
A liitle update.   We have a water table with slats!

Also recently being doing some testing of piercing steel that is thick (for my plama).  I have a Cutskill 60 by Cigweld (sub brand of ESAB) and while it claims to be able to clean cut up to 20mm the ability to pierce is a very different kettle of fish.  Max pierce of 15mm at 60Amps is the limit I am looking to break. Versus having to do edge starts.  Breaking that limit without stuffing the consumables on each pierce.  To that end this testing in 16mm steel at 60Amps.

Top of pierce and cut

Bottom of pierce.  Left side is previous test and has been cleaned. The right side is not cleaned.

Consumables post two pierces.  These were not new before that having done a number of cuts.

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Nov 2023 23:18 by Joco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2023 23:09 #284990 by tommylight
No picture of it folded? :(

More
09 Nov 2023 23:21 #284991 by Joco
Hmmm ,,, pretty sure I have some before putting all the slats in.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
25 Nov 2023 20:18 - 25 Nov 2023 23:08 #286495 by Joco
After some initial cutting and some stress testing I conluded that the gantry needed dual linear rails.  On HGR15 rail the bearings are pretty good but they are weakest on twist around the length of the rail.  i.e. if you look down the length of the rail and twist the bearing left or tight on the axis the is way way way more movement then when you are looking at the rail face on (such that the moiunting holes are all facing you) and you then try and twist the bearing block left/right (good luck moving it).

This meant that when doing "high" accelerations and movement speeds it was easy to create wobble in the torch.   SO two rails will lock that right down.  And it does.  So design advice to anyone else doing this, either consider 25mm rail (it's propbably going to better in that direction) or dual 15mms.

A few pics attached.   Once things are all back together I will retest and post results.

Cheers - J.

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Nov 2023 23:08 by Joco.

More
26 Nov 2023 08:00 #286532 by Joco
This is a short video I did checking the performance of the new dual linear rails on the gantry.  This is a pure motion check no cutting involved.
Acceleration is 2500mm/s^2 and feed speeds are 7000mm/min.  So its pretty quick.   Rapids are at 240000mm/min.

Overall observations is it is significantly more ridgid than before.  I was constrained to accelerations of 1000mm/s^2 as anything over that you could really see the torch wobbling and vibrating on the sudden direction changes.  If I push to 3000mm/s^2 then the inertia in the stepper motors on the x-carriage start to cause twist in the gantry beam and so some vibration begins.

Cheers - J.

More
30 Nov 2023 06:39 #286847 by Joco
Got laser cross installed on a 3d printed bracket and hooked up to the UI.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
03 Dec 2023 18:57 - 05 Dec 2023 20:14 #287122 by Joco
SOLVED - VPN to the rescue.  While my fixed IP is still blocked (pushing 4 days now) I can use a VPN (lucky I have a subscription) to get in.  And since that is a floating IP I can just shift servers if there are anymore silly blocking issues.

Team - my IP address has been blocked by the forum for several days. The only way I can access things is via my mobile phone which is very awkward and annoying.

While I will periodically check access, I am sad to say that until the situation resolves I will be, for all intents and purposes, absent.

If an administrator sees this and can remedy the problem that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards - Joco (James)
Last edit: 05 Dec 2023 20:14 by Joco. Reason: VPN to rescue.

More
09 Dec 2023 22:00 #287719 by Joco
In an effort to improve the torsional strength on the gantry beam I designed these brackets that have a block which pushes into the gantry about 23mm and is a tap-in fit.  The bracket is 6mm steel and were cut out on the plasma table.

The video of the items being cut along with a spanner for a the 45mm nut on washing basin waste water fittings.

Setup on the manual mill using a small fixture table.

Roughing out the block insert using a 20mm insert mill.  This deals with the hard edge left by the plasma cut.  Transitioned to a 6mm carbide endmill to bring to final dimensions and get down to a 3mm radius on the corners.

Parts done and ready for assembly.

Installed into gantry and ready for stiffness checks.

Stiffness checks dry run using 3000mm/s^2 and feeds of 8000mm/min.

Cheers - J.

Attachments:

More
31 Mar 2024 22:29 #297311 by Joco
I have started working on the proper electronics cabinet for the table.  I needed something that was going to be close to the moving end with the cables off the gantry and that would cope with the hinged natue of the table top.So here is the resulting mounting system.  Next stage will be moving all the electronics off the prototype board and into this cabinet. 

Cheers - J.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.762 seconds