"Origami" CNC Plasma Build - folding 1200 x 600mm cut area

More
25 Jul 2021 00:22 #215826 by rodw
Looks good but from my experience I would swap the striker plate position with the switch position. I had no end of issues with reliable wiring when the switch was allowed to move...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2021 01:17 #215830 by Joco
Rod - hmmm might need some more explanation.  Unless I am missing it I'm sure the Z limit switch is non moving and for the floating switch it has to move.

I did deliberately swap the rail/truck positioning around.  The truck is now the fixed mounting point and the rail is on the moving part. Essentially a linear rail version of Tommy's linear rod concept.

Cheers - J.

More
25 Jul 2021 07:10 #215840 by rodw

Rod - hmmm might need some more explanation.  Unless I am missing it I'm sure the Z limit switch is non moving and for the floating switch it has to move.

I did deliberately swap the rail/truck positioning around.  The truck is now the fixed mounting point and the rail is on the moving part. Essentially a linear rail version of Tommy's linear rod concept.

Cheers - J.

Sounds like I was the one missing something!

More
26 Jul 2021 08:55 #215937 by Joco
Initial concept for torch breakaway.  I'm still working on dimensions and need to check what magnet sizes I can source which will influence the ball bearing sizes etc etc.

This isn't a new design and its concept is based on a design SeanP over on Spider Plasma created.

Anyway, thought I would post what I had at this point.

Attachments:

More
26 Jul 2021 10:08 #215942 by rodw

More
26 Jul 2021 10:34 #215948 by tommylight

More
30 Jul 2021 00:40 #216288 by Joco
Been working on the torch holder and a way to index it vertical, 30deg and 45deg.  The off verticals are to allow a 60deg or 90deg incl angle bevel to cut for welding purposes.

Here are some design screen shots:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
30 Jul 2021 03:13 - 30 Jul 2021 03:13 #216295 by Joco
I think I might have a had a brain wave or brain fart. Will work on an idea and post it but I "think" I can simplify this and get easier reposioning for bevel cust.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2021 03:13 by Joco.

More
30 Jul 2021 12:43 #216345 by BigJohnT
The limit switch looks bullet proof now.

Looking good!

JT

More
30 Jul 2021 14:43 #216351 by rodw
I wonder how useful the fillet feature would be? Lets say you were cutting an end cap to weld onto a tube or square section.
How many setups would you have and how would you manage them?

If its not an end cap, there are plenty of ways to design a part to be welded without a fillet once you have a CNC plasma cutter at your disposal. eg. tab and slot construction. You can even cut the tabs shorter than the material thickness and weld from the back for a nice clean finish with no visible welds. 

Time to create page: 0.412 seconds