"Origami" CNC Plasma Build - folding 1200 x 600mm cut area

More
13 Apr 2021 19:47 #205820 by tommylight

Tommy - re your 200-300mm clearance from table top to bottom of gantry. Could you expand on why this is the target? Not debating it just keen to learn what drives that size band.

That is for water tables to avoid water getting to the rails from splashing while cutting.
Down-draft can go much lower.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2021 00:48 #205838 by Joco

to avoid water getting to the rails from splashing while cutting

AH! Get it. So, if I am using a hiwin style linear rail and mounted on the top of the gantry span when the torch is on the front, forward and down, would that reduce the risk of this issue? I have managed to get the 200mm clearance but if the design choice I have taken re where the rail is mounted as described allows me to lower things a bit that could be useful.

Cheers - J.

More
14 Apr 2021 09:51 #205868 by tommylight
If you maintain and clean the machine often, the splashing is a non issue, so do not worry to much about it.
And HiWin can last a long time even wet and dirty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joco

More
27 Apr 2021 10:06 #207207 by Joco
A little update. Between work have been slowly moving forward. I have the base built and welded up. A small amount of warp across the bottom of the frame. 1.6mm which I had to shim out on one wheel. The result looks to be a stable frame with the top plane (the one that counts) flat within good tolerances. I checked that using the string method and also using a long level.

Next up is to make the pivot blocks that will hinge the table top. And the table top frame as well.

Cheers - J.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 May 2021 09:30 #210042 by Joco
Just a little update. Things have hit a go slow as I've come down with a nasty bout of bronchitis. It's dragging out and means no shop time. We are heading into winter and the cold air just sets coughing fits off.

So keeping warm and tinkering with the software/electronics side.

I have a simple config in place on the 7i76e that is XYYZ. I have the drivers all setup and using manual homing am able to run some gcode through Axis and drive the motors on the X and YY. I've yet to wire up the Z, that will be next but I do not see any reason it will not work.

Test running gcode that push the motors at 10,000mm/min rapids, 1330mm/s/s acceleration. Settings all based on a 3:1 reduction drive from motor to the axis drive belt. Feeds are 2200mm/min on X and Y. The motors just wizzz along and don't sound stressed. Obviously real proof will be when they are under load. (the motors are 3 Amp, nema 23's, 2.4mH, running off 48V supply).

The real win being proof of motor control via the 7i76e under the T610 control.

Cheers - James.

More
24 May 2021 17:28 #210085 by rodw
Keep safe. I really feel for you and your cough. I have something similar following a head cold that started 2 weeks ago. Sometimes, I have got a cold in June/July and end up in hospital in October so try very hard to stop it getting to that stage... I think I have it under control.
Remember that plasma cutters don't have anything to load them up. What you have will be fine.

More
24 May 2021 22:10 #210115 by Becksvill
just let me know when you want your rails. if I hear of anyone coming down to wellington I will try send them down with them

progress looks good mate sounds like you need a nice warm shop

More
24 May 2021 22:41 #210125 by BigJohnT

More
24 May 2021 22:49 #210126 by Joco

just let me know when you want your rails. if I hear of anyone coming down to wellington I will try send them down with them

progress looks good mate sounds like you need a nice warm shop

Yeah - the boss has been going on at me about getting a powerfull heater for the garage for winter. At least its all lined now so doesn't leak heat like it used to. I don't want LPG and given the environment something designed for house probably wont be robust enough. Time to start looking for sales I guess.

Re rails. Yes - I need to get you the sizes/lengths so we can sort cost and I can send the $$ through. I think tonight I will invest some time finalising the CAD so I can txt you the lengths. Might need to have a discussion on if 15mm or 20mm rail and if single or double trucks are needed at any particular point. I'll see if I can post updated pic's here for reference.

Cheers - James.

More
26 Jun 2021 04:44 #212944 by Joco
Some progress today after some time waiting to get over a nasty chest infection - not COVID fortunately.

Got the hinges done on the base frame.

Then moved on to some gratuitous cleaning. Well I was going to need the clean surfaces once I got the next lot of steel chopped up.

So chopping up leangths of 65mm SHS (3mm wall) to make the table top. Then just clamip it up into a rough approximation in the hinges to see how it would work/look.

Seems to look about right. Hinges working well. Then on to an initial fit up on the table to make sure I had things all the correct length and could clamp it all down and get it square.

Next up is preping all the joints, getting it sqaure and clamped up super ridgid so nothing is going to move while I tack things up and weld the outer seams. Then it will be moving on to welding it all out and trying to keep the amount of metal put down consistent so all the stresses are even and the frame stays flat.

Cheers - J.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigJohnT, phillc54, tommylight

Time to create page: 0.727 seconds