"Origami" CNC Plasma Build - folding 1200 x 600mm cut area

More
19 Jul 2021 02:28 #215280 by Joco
Tommy - yes I have read through that build many times.  Was never too sure if it was 12, 16mm or larger rods in use.

I would need to source rod, bushings, RHS on that build. With the design I am pursuing I have everything other then the lead screw on hand.  But I do rather like how contained your design is. 

cheers - J. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2021 10:16 #215306 by tommylight
That is not important, the part with 2x M10 screws is what you should have a look at amd the switch, it saves a lot on parts the way i did it.
Sorry to put you through a long topic, but am on the phone so a bit hard to search.

More
19 Jul 2021 11:47 #215314 by RNJFAB
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Joco

More
19 Jul 2021 17:19 #215331 by tommylight
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joco

More
19 Jul 2021 19:15 #215332 by Joco
OH! Now I see what you are referring to. Slick!   Wonder if i can utilise that idea with the parts I have. Hmmmm …

More
19 Jul 2021 20:39 #215336 by tommylight

OH! Now I see what you are referring to. Slick!   Wonder if i can utilise that idea with the parts I have. Hmmmm …

Removes the need for 2 pairs of rails or two HiWin rails, so just one is required, works perfectly, i have it on 4 machines and 2 of them are in use daily for at least 10 hours a day, one of those working does 386 pierces per 2X1M plate quite often, so pretty sure any reliability issues would have shown up by now as it's in use last 7 months.

More
19 Jul 2021 21:42 #215341 by Joco
Tommy - would I be correct that the leadscrew you are using in that setup is 8mm with 2mm lead? Or is it 4mm lead?  Also the brass flange nut is using M3 screws to hold it to that cross section?  Just trying to guage sizes of what is being used to help ensure I don't start over engineering things for no purpose.

Cheers - James.

More
19 Jul 2021 22:22 #215345 by tommylight
It is 8mm with 8mm lead ( i am greedy for speed ), and that proved to much so using 4mm would be better.
And yes, M3 screws holding the nut to the thin plate (use at least 2mm plate, i had one break so i preemptively changed another two using the same plate), and another M3 that has no place being there, alas it is hiding my mistake! :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
19 Jul 2021 22:39 #215349 by Joco
Thanks.  Just working out some modeling stuff.

I have a 2amp Nema17 motor that I was going to direct drive onto the leadscrew.  Given that and the motor size I have been thinking a 2mm lead so as to get the torque up.  Or am I being too conservative and 4mm lead on that sized motor will be fine?  I don't have much experience with how much oomph these smaller motors have as most of my stepper experience is with the bigger Nema32s.

Thanks - J.

More
19 Jul 2021 23:07 #215351 by tommylight
I am using Nema 17 at 1A (they are 1.3 A) with 8mm lead, so it will do just fine with 4mm.
2mm might be to much depending on the speed required and the voltage used.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds