"Origami" CNC Plasma Build - folding 1200 x 600mm cut area

More
19 Jul 2021 23:13 - 19 Jul 2021 23:22 #215353 by Joco
Thanks.   2mm lead will be easier on the motor from a load/torque perspective but might be an issue in that to get the level of travel needed to respond to changes in height as things move the motor might not be able to spin fast enough?

The other challenge will be finding a 4mm lead locally.  I want to buy NZ but I keep havingo to go offshore cose no one local seems to have stuff.  Or if they do they are charging 300-400% more than I can source it for offshore. 

update:  All motors runnig off 48V supply.

Cheers - J.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2021 23:22 by Joco.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2021 23:40 #215354 by tommylight
Yeah that should be more than enough voltage to drive the motors quite fast, so even 2mm should do just fine.

More
20 Jul 2021 00:06 #215355 by Joco
Thanks for the advice Tommy.  I'll run with 2mm lead as I can find the locally easily (as I can with 8mm lead). I would hope that I am not dealing with so much warpage that I need to move multiple mm's in sub second intervals.  Worse case will be I "live and learn" and move to 4mm lead later after I import the needed parts.

Cheers - J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
21 Jul 2021 06:07 #215459 by Joco
Taking on Tommy's advice and inspiration from his Z design I have been redisgining the Z assembly.  This design is 46mm from front to back.It has 130mm of travel and the total height of of the backplate is 270mm. Amount of travel on the float switch is probaly around 8mm at the point of trigger.  Total physical travel is 13mm.

Interested in views, improvements or potential gotchas.

Cheers - James. 
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
21 Jul 2021 09:00 #215465 by rodw
Looks good. The only thing to watch is to be able to adjust the float switch hysteresis but I guess you can adjust that with the bolts.
I added an adjustment screw so the float switch just moved the minimum amount to trigger for speed.

More
21 Jul 2021 09:08 #215469 by tommylight
Make the switch location so that the plate triggering it rests on the supporting plate when pressed down, not on the switch.
Saves some switches! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joco

More
21 Jul 2021 09:14 #215470 by rodw
Also, I learnt the hard way, the switch should be on the fixed part, not the moving part so the  wires are not flexing all the time...
Try and design it so the switch body is safely out of the way so it can't be smashed...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joco

More
21 Jul 2021 10:00 #215474 by Joco
Rod - with this design I'm not too sure how I can avoid a flexing wire situation.  Definately need to get the switch into a safe spot.  But all good refinements to look at after this first cut.

More
21 Jul 2021 10:08 #215476 by rodw
If the part the acme screw nut is bolted to was a piece of angle iron, it would be an ideal spot for a switch with minimal wire flex...

More
22 Jul 2021 08:05 - 22 Jul 2021 08:06 #215555 by Joco
Updated with some firther thinking.
[1] adjustable stop for Z float
[2] Z top home proximity sensor.  I might need to change this to a roller switch once I try and mount the nema17. We shall see.

J.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jul 2021 08:06 by Joco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.340 seconds